Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: 2012 Entry Level Desktop - Intel Celeron G530 Performance Guide

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tgui View Post
    All my gigabyte motherboards have worked great!

    Your smile will fade away once you understand that I wrote the "guide" on official gigabyte support forum (which is in their "howtos") on how to extract their binary-packed biosen from exe.
    *no other mb manufacturer does that BS packing data in windows-only files*

    Also, I have fought over 4 weeks and did several videos on non-working wireless keyboard prior to OS boot, before gigabyte taiwan branch started slowly moving their arses. The issue was "patched", half-working, and they do not care to make that bios stable.

    And then article from phoronix on their behaviour - which is not suprising. If you have a need come by there and mention in the slightest that you´re not-windows user, you will be ignored. This current 785GMT I have is the LASTEST gigabyte I own in my life.

    And their UEFI+BIOS weird-o-figuration is crap.

    Seriously, why would you pick gigabyte? Do you believe in their marketing BS? %random_mb_manufacturer_here(except elitegroup/ecs)% is perfectly awesome, way less issues, does not ignore you if youre non-windows user and same solid caps and qualities.

    I have bought 3 boards after GMT and all of em were not-gigabytes for that reason.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Your smile will fade away once you understand that I wrote the "guide" on official gigabyte support forum (which is in their "howtos") on how to extract their binary-packed biosen from exe.
    *no other mb manufacturer does that BS packing data in windows-only files*

    Also, I have fought over 4 weeks and did several videos on non-working wireless keyboard prior to OS boot, before gigabyte taiwan branch started slowly moving their arses. The issue was "patched", half-working, and they do not care to make that bios stable.

    And then article from phoronix on their behaviour - which is not suprising. If you have a need come by there and mention in the slightest that you´re not-windows user, you will be ignored. This current 785GMT I have is the LASTEST gigabyte I own in my life.

    And their UEFI+BIOS weird-o-figuration is crap.

    Seriously, why would you pick gigabyte? Do you believe in their marketing BS? %random_mb_manufacturer_here(except elitegroup/ecs)% is perfectly awesome, way less issues, does not ignore you if youre non-windows user and same solid caps and qualities.

    I have bought 3 boards after GMT and all of em were not-gigabytes for that reason.

    Those are your experiences, they're called anecdotal evidence. Same with my experiences.

    My Phenom 2 Gigabyte ran linux for years without issue. My i5 2400 mini-itx gigabyte linux media server has been perfect with amazing uptimes while running all sorts of services. My current i7 3820 gigabyte was only $265, supports 4-way SLI and runs my chip at 4.5GHz at stock voltage with Ubuntu 12.04.

    I'm sorry you have had issues. Remember though, not everyone has the same experiences. My smile won't fade because I made sure my Gigabyte motherboards worked for my needs before I purchased them.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    I dont know if the intel bios for latest boards is better than those for amd ones. but i know for sure that current amd board with gigabyte bios can not directly boot from usb keys with grub2 bootloader, only syslinux/isolinux hybrid is possble. for grub2 images you have to use plop, thats very painfull...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Which is the better deal for a sub $200 (max. $300) budget system? For me, it's between Intel G540 and AMD (APU) A6-3500. One diff. is that the Intel probably needs a discrete card but there are cheapie video cards that can be had for about $20. A Pentium IV machine died so I need to replace it. Well, I think it's the PSU but I don't even want to really troubleshoot it unless I can find a used power supply for free. The XP OS freezes up and overheats.

    It's not mine but I want to replace it and probably stick Win7 and Linux (so, I can use it sometimes :-) or troubleshoot with Linux apps).

    It'll be mostly a HTPC. I won't get a Gigabyte mobo for the same reasons that crazycheese mentions. I just don't want to risk it and I have read negative things about their restrictive BIOS, too.

    I like Arock, MSI and Asus (in that order).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Which is the better deal for a sub $200 (max. $300) budget system? For me, it's between Intel G540 and AMD (APU) A6-3500. One diff. is that the Intel probably needs a discrete card but there are cheapie video cards that can be had for about $20. A Pentium IV machine died so I need to replace it. Well, I think it's the PSU but I don't even want to really troubleshoot it unless I can find a used power supply for free. The XP OS freezes up and overheats.

    It's not mine but I want to replace it and probably stick Win7 and Linux (so, I can use it sometimes :-) or troubleshoot with Linux apps).

    It'll be mostly a HTPC. I won't get a Gigabyte mobo for the same reasons that crazycheese mentions. I just don't want to risk it and I have read negative things about their restrictive BIOS, too.

    I like Arock, MSI and Asus (in that order).
    My HTPC is a Core i5 2400, 8GB, Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard. A little more than you want to spend, but the Intel graphics worked just fine with Ubuntu 11.10. Once again, I have had zero probs with that motherboard.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tgui View Post
    My HTPC is a Core i5 2400, 8GB, Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard. A little more than you want to spend, but the Intel graphics worked just fine with Ubuntu 11.10. Once again, I have had zero probs with that motherboard.
    Well, if you use Intel graphics with that cpu, you have an Intel HD 3000. The cpu I was looking at, the Celeron G540 has Intel HD which is like a HD 2000 but crippled. The HD 3000 and 2000 are entirely different animals. I read that the Intel HD is fine for all-purpose graphics but might not be too good with HD 1080p video. So, I am back to deciding whether having more processing power is worth it over the AMD choice which is the other way around.

    I'll probably go with the Celeron as I might not need the new build for 1080p video but if I ever did, cards like the Nvidia silent 520 low profile card is about $40. I guess it wouldn't add much more power consumption.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Hey, wait a second... I haven´t seen even small reference to Linux in your whole "review". What the ack were you reviewing, OEM boxes?
    Exactly.

    it was a good "windows" benchmark, but it was just that another windows benchmark, which too many online.

    I would like to see some linux benchmarks, unigine ( if possible) , etc.

    well anything linux would do with a few screens

    Am not sure if everyone knows this but phoronix is mainly a linux site.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Well, if you use Intel graphics with that cpu, you have an Intel HD 3000. The cpu I was looking at, the Celeron G540 has Intel HD which is like a HD 2000 but crippled. The HD 3000 and 2000 are entirely different animals. I read that the Intel HD is fine for all-purpose graphics but might not be too good with HD 1080p video. So, I am back to deciding whether having more processing power is worth it over the AMD choice which is the other way around.

    I'll probably go with the Celeron as I might not need the new build for 1080p video but if I ever did, cards like the Nvidia silent 520 low profile card is about $40. I guess it wouldn't add much more power consumption.
    My previous HTPC ran a core 2 duo with an Intel MHD 4500 which is slower than the HD2000. I played 1080P MKVs without issue. I could also play quake wars and nexuiz on medium-ish settings. The HD2000 should be fine.

    Or... spend some extra $$ on a core i3 2105.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •