Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Im hoping that with x64 being the preferred flavour for this release that unity-panel-service and compiz will be less leaky in x64. a lot of the bugs are marked as fixed with the latest 5.4 unity release.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Since kernel 3.0 HDMI is disabled by default. Some people seem to experience "blank screens" with it...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/864735
    tl;dr: You need to load the radeon module with "radeon.audio=1".
    I already did that, and still got no audio. Judging from the forum threads I've found about it, this is the standard experience with Fusion systems (followed immediately by installing Catalyst or switching to a non-HDMI audio output).

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I already did that, and still got no audio. Judging from the forum threads I've found about it, this is the standard experience with Fusion systems (followed immediately by installing Catalyst or switching to a non-HDMI audio output).
    We'll see how it works on mine as well... I've got an A6-3xxx at home in my HTPC, and I've been using analog audio + OSS driver because my HDMI wasn't outputting anything. I'll try the kernel parameter sometime this weekend and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1. Other then a little bit of a learning curve with the rpm package system it uses (yum), I am very happy with it
    openSUSE uses zypper not yum

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I guess you'll be missing dist-upgrade in about 6 months.
    openSUSE has that, it's called 'zypper dup'.

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I guess you'll be missing dist-upgrade in about 6 months.
    tumbleweed

Question Better ATI support than in 11.10 ?

In Ubuntu 11.10 (and Linux Mint 12 - Ubuntu-based), I never had much luck with my ATI chip. It's a FirePro m7740 chip, which appears to be a one-of-a-kind that AMD made for Dell's mobile workstations.

Anyway, with the aforementioned versions of Linux, the open-source driver would garble the menus in Gnome 3 and Cinnamon. But installing the closed-source Catalyst driver was a nightmare that I haven't yet licked, either.

Any idea if this situation will get any better with Ubuntu 12.04?

Default What to expect from ATI Radeon HD6900 with Kubuntu 12.04?

What to expect from ATI Radeon HD6900 with Kubuntu 12.04?

Will the open source driver work, or should one install catalyst? automatic Fan control, clock throttling and HD video playback (x264) work with the open source diver as well? Has the open source driver other advantages?