Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    A library, that is closed source, fetching advertisements and translates opengl calls into proprietary directx?

Well that just sounds like a graphical rootkit!
    But that's on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Maybe a test for the actual image quality / rendering accuracy would be beneficial to the evaluation of the performance?
    Good point, I didn't thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimA View Post
    I see there are some people who suspect cheating here (which is sad, given that no one has actually verified the accusations yet). It should be easy to find out for anyone with at least two different video cards. Just do a benchmark, then swap in the other card and see if the results change considerably.

On another note, I've seen bits of the original source code myself. Believe me, most people wouldn't understand a thing. All functions and variables have crazy_long_non_english_naming.

On a third note, I can actually imagine that TitaniumGL is faster than LLVMpipe, given that LLVMpipe probably tries to be reasonably accurate and emulate shaders. TitaniumGL probably makes a hell of a lot of shortcuts (which is a perfectly valid approach, if the unsued functions are not/seldomly used, why not leave them out?). Either way, more testing needed here.
    Or just test it with an Unichrome and mesa 8.0, since it was dropped (which means there is no way to call the mesa driver).

Nice rootkit!

No source = no party. I didn't get rid of a fast, feature rich, ad free driver just for fun...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

To be fair, it is not a rootkit.

Wikipedia:
    A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software (malware) designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enables continued privileged access to a computer.
    What you people want to say is adware.

Quote Originally Posted by intgr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    a) the gallium devs are a bunch of morons having lost several years on developing some crap
    They're busy making sure that the capabilities of your hardware are taken advantage of. Personally I find that more important than software rendering performance in obsolete games.
    Hey, I havenīt said that!!

I wonder if TitaniumGL somehow uses the 2D accel capabilities of the DDX to accelerate 3d?

Nah, that sounds crazy.

But still, why does vesa crash...?!

Just a guess but the idea of this library was to get around buggy GL drivers, perhaps it does T&L (Transform & Lighting, a fixed function way like a very primitive fixed vertex shader) on the hardware and does the fragment pipeline on the system's GPU, thus bypassing any potential unstable parts in the hardware driver related to T&L or outright doesn't support T&L on ancient hardware? That would explain why it is roughly just an offset off performance of the nvidia driver and it crashes under the vesa driver which presumably the driver was trying to take over the T&L role and then delegating the rest to software mesa, does this magical library try and link to the system's libGL by any chance? That's a big hint.

Comparing different stuff here ...an OpenGL 1.x implementation against OpenGL 3.x are magnitudes of difference ... because 1.x is good ol' fixed function pipeline, non programmable, that's a BIG difference in complexity.
    That if we ignore those nasty things in the benchmarks that other users pointed out.

Totally different generation of stuff, and, it seems to be adware blob. thank you, but as I said on the FreeBSD forums, I don't run random blobs from strangers, I can BARELY stand the nvidia one (using a distro with old nouveau drivers), which is a blob from a known company.
    In any case thank you for giving support to the platform, for the people interested in your stuff ... but it's not welcome here.

Regards.

vertexSymphony: well, actually, writing a programmable pipeline is mutch easyer.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaED View Post
    Just a guess but the idea of this library was to get around buggy GL drivers, perhaps it does T&L (Transform & Lighting, a fixed function way like a very primitive fixed vertex shader) on the hardware
    Well, for somebody interested, wouldn't it be pretty easy to watch with strace and gdb whether calls are made to libraries that interface with the hardware?

I always wonder how people can at the same time write the most complex software and at the same time do that weird stuff when deploying it...
    Code:
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.txt", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.doc.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/tmp/titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Windows\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\titaniumgl_license_31242676.txt.doc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

My reaction to the article is here:
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...606#post253606