Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: Radeon UVD Support Going Through Code Review

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    Because I don't see any evidence for this. I don't see even 2% usage in the library or any other area that's "representative".
    wikipedia (the website)is representative and wikipedia count 3,5% linux with a grow rate of 40% every 6 month.

    and sure linux=all linux versions also andorid

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wikipedia (the website)is representative and wikipedia count 3,5% linux with a grow rate of 40% every 6 month.

    and sure linux=all linux versions also andorid
    http://www.zdnet.de/news/41560958/id...s-und-unix.htm

    on the server market the impact is even greater linux beat windows and unix very hard.

    linux beat all other systems in Total Cost of Ownership, technical superior ,security , maturity

    windows lost 1,5% unix lost 10,7%

    also the impact is even greater because:

    "The report covers only been played at the factory operating systems, which additionally enhances Linux - after all it is as an OS, which is typically only partly filled by the end user. More and more customers buy from manufacturers so like IBM, HP and Dell hardware that is played from the outset with Linux."

    this means windows and unix lose so hart against linux so hard you even can't calculate the "Lost" because most of the linux servers are selled without linux and the people install linux later.

    this means windows+unix are already death.
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 03-17-2012 at 03:06 AM.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

    "In 2009 Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer indicated that Linux had a greater desktop market share than Mac, stating that in recent years Linux had "certainly increased its share somewhat". Just under a third of all Dell netbook sales in 2009 had Linux installed.[51]

    Caitlyn Martin, researching retail market numbers in the summer of 2010 also concluded that the traditional numbers mentioned for Linux desktop adoption were far too low:

    It seems like almost every day someone in the tech press or someone commenting in a technical forum will claim that Linux adoption on the desktop (including laptops) is insignificant. The number that is thrown around is 1%. These claims are even repeated by some who advocate for Linux adoption. Both the idea that Linux market share on the desktop is insignificant and the 1% figure are simply false and have been for many years...Where does the 1% number come from? There are two sources: very old data and web counters. The problem with using web counters to try and ascertain market share is that they generally only include websites that have paid to be counted. That pretty much guarantees that Windows will be overcounted.
    —Caitlyn Martin[51]"

    this means linux do have ~10% market share on the desktop

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

    "In 2009 Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer indicated that Linux had a greater desktop market share than Mac, stating that in recent years Linux had "certainly increased its share somewhat". Just under a third of all Dell netbook sales in 2009 had Linux installed.[51]

    Caitlyn Martin, researching retail market numbers in the summer of 2010 also concluded that the traditional numbers mentioned for Linux desktop adoption were far too low:

    It seems like almost every day someone in the tech press or someone commenting in a technical forum will claim that Linux adoption on the desktop (including laptops) is insignificant. The number that is thrown around is 1%. These claims are even repeated by some who advocate for Linux adoption. Both the idea that Linux market share on the desktop is insignificant and the 1% figure are simply false and have been for many years...Where does the 1% number come from? There are two sources: very old data and web counters. The problem with using web counters to try and ascertain market share is that they generally only include websites that have paid to be counted. That pretty much guarantees that Windows will be overcounted.
    —Caitlyn Martin[51]"

    this means linux do have ~10% market share on the desktop
    Not at all, I said!

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    ~10% are the Microsoft internal datas. source: http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/18119...-comments.html

    its like the Halloween documents : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Documents

    if you had access to Microsoft internals documents you would be surprised.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Dear AMD open source driver team,

    I'd like to thank you for a few things:

    - writing the drivers!
    - consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
    - your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
    - putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
    - explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

    I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Dear AMD open source driver team,

    I'd like to thank you for a few things:

    - writing the drivers!
    - consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
    - your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
    - putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
    - explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

    I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)
    yes i support you i still love the opensource driver radeon

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    somewhere at the edge of the Milky Way
    Posts
    98

    Thumbs up Thanks for standing with THE OUTLAWS!

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Dear AMD open source driver team,

    I'd like to thank you for a few things:

    • writing the drivers!
    • consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
    • your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
    • putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
    • explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.


    I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)
    I second that.
    You guys are doing a phenomenal job under the circumstances and I really hate to see all your efforts constantly crippled by crap called Digital Restrictions Malware.
    It's killing me to see everyone who wants to be free branded as HERETIC TROUBLEMAKER by the tyrants and mocked by the herd of sheeple around, because freedom is human nature.
    It's obnoxious to be bullied for simply demanding something you have natural right for.
    Thanks for doing what you can for the modern "OUTLAWS" that we all are.
    Last edited by »John«; 03-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by »John« View Post
    I second that. You guys are doing a phenomenal job under the circumstances and I really hate to see you constantly struggling with crap called Digital Restrictions Malware.
    It's killing me to see everyone who wants to be free branded as HERETIC TROUBLEMAKER, because freedom is human nature. Thanks for doing what you can for the modern "OUTLAWS" that we all are.
    hell yes we are the heretic troublemakers and for me this is good

    because of this i also use bitcoins and we do have our own chicken farm in our garden

    Autarkism,Anarchism,Freedom are really cool

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Dear AMD open source driver team,

    I'd like to thank you for a few things:

    - writing the drivers!
    - consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
    - your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
    - putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
    - explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

    I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)
    +100500!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •