Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 96

Thread: Radeon UVD Support Going Through Code Review

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Please read what I actually post (rather than, say, what Q says I posted ) before making comments like this.
    only in your "Dreams" you are just a solipsist without contact to the reality.

    "read what I actually post (rather than, say, what Q says I posted"

    this only prove Im right and the Objective reality shows this! You are incapable to express yourself that people understand you in YOUR way!

    the people understand you in MY way because I reflect a deep understanding about our society quite the contrary to your propaganda.

    and the people read your stuff and my stuff and come to the consultation that you are only a "puppet" dancing for the BIG Money for money.

    why should people respect your point of view more than my point of view based on the point that I do not earn money for my point of view.

    your credibility is zero in this tropic!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Or maybe reality isn't as black-and-white as people would like it to be. All I can do is state facts.

    If you don't like them, and want to dance around wrapped in conspiracy theories, go for it. Just don't take your thoughts and present them as mine.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Or maybe reality isn't as black-and-white as people would like it to be. All I can do is state facts.

    If you don't like them, and want to dance around wrapped in conspiracy theories, go for it. Just don't take your thoughts and present them as mine.
    the first step to fight the know right enemy is to point out that the enemy believe in conspiracy theories.

    i think most Phoronix readers now laugh at you because you claim there is no conspiracy of Microsoft and Hollywood to hurt "Opensource" and "Free-Software"

    the GPLv3 license says clear that DRM is against the license!

    Microsoft and Hollywood know this because of this they go this way.

    Steve balmer points out that Linux is a Cancer and he will wipe out the Cancer!

    also bill gates are Quoted many times in internal emails that they develop multiple techniques to make sure the hardware will not run on Linux.

    ACPI is a example and UVD is another example!

    but yes play your Pupped role and Lie to the people. go one.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Please read what I actually post (rather than, say, what Q says I posted ) before making comments like this. I have stated here multiple times that the requirement on us is not "protecting BluRay content" but "making sure that our specific subset of the playback chain is secure".

    I know full well that there are other ways to get around the protection chain, but (as I have posted multiple times) that in no way changes the requirements *we* (and everyone else in the GPU business) need to meet in order to sell into the OEM PC market which makes up the majority of our business.

    It would be nice if you would stop insinuating (falsely) that AMD is any different from any other GPU vendor in this regard, but that's your call.
    I think the best you're going to get from me is that your company is less malicious than Nvidia. (Which is why I have three Radeon HD cards in use and a laptop based on that Vision platform).

    It's sad that it doesn't get any better than this.

    Edit: But thank you for agreeing with me that it's absurd to guard the front door when the thieves are going out the back with all the loot.
    Last edited by DaemonFC; 03-16-2012 at 02:40 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    Not including DRM in any product would be suicide as every Joe Sixpack out there would only buy nVidia and Intel because they can play "premium content". But some DRM-free editions (like they have now unlocked multiplier editions) of their future APUs would be nice.
    Not even close.
    1) Video decoding ALREADY doesn't work on AMD.
    2) in this scenario, nvidia ALSO wouldn't support DRM and would stand to GAIN just as much by NOT supporting it.

    As for "premium content"... there is no such thing. Eliminate DRM and everything that people actually use will remain fine. As has been mentioned above, everything "protected" is free for download anyway.

    In fact, media providers would profit by the elimination of DRM, because PEOPLE WHO CAN'T/WON'T DRM stand a MUCH higher chance of ***ACTUALLY PAYING*** for content that they can actually consume!!!!! People who WON'T pay for it will GET IT FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET regardless of DRM.

    I refuse to pay EVEN ONE CENT for DRM'd content because;
    (a) I can't consume it,
    (b) it is IMMORAL.

    If it was un-DRM? I might just buy some media.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Edit: But thank you for agreeing with me that it's absurd to guard the front door when the thieves are going out the back with all the loot.
    only clowns act in this way they talk about the security and safety of the front door and in the background the thieves are taking all they want.

    this prove ... he is a clown. the people love this theatrical show.

    amd pay him for a great theatrical show.

    and we all should be thankfully for this.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I know full well that there are other ways to get around the protection chain, but (as I have posted multiple times) that in no way changes the requirements *we* (and everyone else in the GPU business) need to meet in order to sell into the OEM PC market which makes up the majority of our business.
    I think I understand now what he means. OEM = Dell, HP etc. Ready laptops and PC with proprietary parts. They are all shipped with Windows, even they talk about free choice. No conspiracy you say?

    Microsoft requires you to close up you driver as part of their theory. You agree to that. And you disagree to create any sufficient other driver for any other OS, other than based on microsoft one. You are essentually puting microsoft in front of the wheel and comply to anything they say. Because you dont deliver good driver to different platforms, these platforms become no good software (hardware support is bad). Because of this people on the street have no choice in OS.

    This is magical triangle

    ........(1)Software
    ........../............\
    ........./...............\
    (2)Hardware ---- (3)Customers


    Whoever controls 2/3 of it, controlls the rest. The 1/3 is being forcefully pulled by neccesity to operate.

    (1) controlled via programmers (developers, developers, developers). Using proprietary library stacks (dx, dot net)
    (2) controlled via secret untertable agreements of high percentage skonto, or boycotte (sweets and punishment method), these are widely known by ms - no secret
    (3) controlled via ads

    On your site you have ms ads with titles to dx games. Should I add anything?

    Not a conspiracy you say? What about Gary Kildal and secret NDA, which made him silent? Who killed him when he decided to talk? Whole world knows that. Microsoft, an old IBM, is literally based on conspiracy.

    But thats not the problem.

    The problem is that there are people with money, that want product. You refuse to give them the product, offering drug instead. The drug is preinstalled on all OEMs. Q is right calling you (part of) mafia, because you are. When I used your hardware I had strong feeling about opensource program like "give them the basics, so they shut up". You are not serving your customers, you are forcefully driving the market. This might have worked in Al Capone times, but it will not work in era of global intercommunication.

    You do not want to keep this world fair. If you would you would have long ago started market research. This what AMD will lack forever and loose forever. You will never lead.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 03-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Yep. You can make a compelling argument that DRM on digital content is a lot like gun control, in the sense that it puts a high burden on legal owners without doing much to prevent criminal activity.

    What I find odd, though, is that most of the people who are strongly opposed to DRM are strongly in favour of gun control. Go figure.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sorry, but you are totally missing the point. We are contractually obligated (as a pre-requisite of selling into our chosen market) to guard the front door even though content is being copied on a regular basis via the back door and the windows. We know that, and I've said that here multiple times, but it doesn't change anything.

    Please stop misrepresenting what I say.
    Unfortunately, this is true.
    And it was a MAJOR mistake that that contract was signed.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the GPLv3 license says clear that DRM is against the license!
    Actually, it doesn't prohibit DRM, but it does render it ineffective since yhou'll end up having to turn over your cryptographic keys to the user and promise not to use the DMCA anti-circumvention clause against them. It doesn't prohibit DRM, it just takes out all its teeth.

    It's why Apple hates the GPL 3 so much. Good. Let them go find a handout somewhere else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •