Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FUSE For FreeBSD Nearing Completion

Default FUSE For FreeBSD Nearing Completion

Phoronix: FUSE For FreeBSD Nearing Completion

The FUSE kernel module for the FreeBSD kernel to support file-systems in user-space is -- finally -- nearing completion...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2OTA

Default ext4

nice!

Hopefully this will provide a way to mount ext4 disks in FreeBSD. This has been one of my hurdles for switching: my external harddrives are formatted ext4 and I can not be bothered to move all that data to some other intermediate storage to convert to a FreeBSD compatible file system. Quite sad actually that the most "reliable" transfer file system between the *BSDs and Linux is FAT...

Quote Originally Posted by staalmannen View Post
    nice!

Hopefully this will provide a way to mount ext4 disks in FreeBSD. This has been one of my hurdles for switching: my external harddrives are formatted ext4 and I can not be bothered to move all that data to some other intermediate storage to convert to a FreeBSD compatible file system. Quite sad actually that the most "reliable" transfer file system between the *BSDs and Linux is FAT...
    I used to format intermediate stuff as ext2 or ext3, can't remember exactly ...
    And, if you're ok with readonly in one of the OSes, then you have a wider set of more stable/capable filesystems

Regards.
    Last edited by vertexSymphony; 03-10-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: small correction

BSD doesn't do UDF?

Default I respect and appreciate FUSE's existence as a toy

Toys are educational. I'd love to use Google Docs FS as a toy it would be a very useful toy and a fun one at that. Speaking of which, is the FS interface so different between BSD and XNU(MacOSX) that they couldn't crib off that? can we do HFS+rw in userspace on fuse? ext4 has that been done yet?

nice!

EXT4 is fully usable under FreeBSD 9.0 even right now, I have recently created an automount [1] daemon based on FreeBSD's devd(8) daemon and these are filesystems it supports: UFS/FAT/exFAT/NTFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4

It needs these ports to mount NTFS/exFAT/EXT4 respectively through FUSE:
    -- sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
    -- sysutils/fusefs-exfat
    -- sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse

Its even possible to use Linux's LVM under FreeBSD, just type kldload geom_linux_lvm kernel module and check /dev/linux_lvm/ directory.

I use NTFS and exFAT filesystems from time to time on FreeBSD and havent found any problems, it does not crash, files are read/write ok.

[1] https://github.com/vermaden/automount/

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    BSD doesn't do UDF?
    Dunno about other BSDs, but FreeBSD supports UDF: http://man.freebsd.org/mount_udf
    Last edited by vermaden; 03-13-2012 at 05:32 AM.

nice!

The best for data transfer between FreeBSD and Linux is ext2.

Default Automount

Quote Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
    EXT4 is fully usable under FreeBSD 9.0 even right now, I have recently created an automount [1] daemon based on FreeBSD's devd(8) daemon and these are filesystems it supports: UFS/FAT/exFAT/NTFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4
    I have installed automount and has indeed allowed me to mount ext4 partitions, but only as root, though.

This is my /usr/local/etc/automount.conf :

USERUMOUNT="YES"
    FM="thunar"
    USER="mirix"

Thunar cannot open the display (probably because it is trying as root) and no regular user cannot mount or access the drives. Only root can.