Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7950: Southern Islands Isn't Yet A Penguin Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    The card performed fairly ok besides the watermark. That is what I found out reading the article, and yes, the free driver is still behind, oh big surprise.
    Agreed. Performance is good, and hopefully the power consumption will be respectable.

I've got high hopes for the GCN cards running in Mesa due to the new SIMD (not VLIW) architecture. It should make it easier to actually create an efficient/performant shader compiler. Of course some of the delay is caused by this massive architectural overhaul, but when the new driver is ready, it should hopefully be worth it.

I can't say that this will cause me to upgrade my 6850 1GB, but next generation... who knows.

Um............................... OK....

Putting the whole Xbox / Qaricrazium bit aside, I'd like to say my HD7970 works pretty well with Catalyst 8.9{classified}

Michael, do a little search on your own forum for "lolsed" and you might be pleasantly surprised at the result (regarding getting rid of "unsupported hardware" logo)

I need to update that utility though, I found a bug.

The new generation of AMD cards really rocks, I'm even more convinced to buy one (7770 or 7850, depends on the cost/performance ratio) for my new machine.
    Still, I'll hold the buy for when there are open drivers out, hoping AMD will notice (it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Still, I'll hold the buy for when there are open drivers out, hoping AMD will notice (it won't).
    Notice what ? We've had multiple developers working on support since well before launch, what would we do differently ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Notice what ? We've had multiple developers working on support since well before launch, what would we do differently ?
    I think he's hoping that AMD sees a spike in sales after their open source support is released to the wild and that spike convinces them to dedicate more resources to improving the experience of their Linux customers.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    And bridgman, you're not gaining anything by replying to Qaridarium. It's just not a healthy thing to do.
    LOL I Agree

I will not stop writing that his windows-modem sucks and the Xbox and amd/ati Xenos graphic card sucks and his Blueray player sucks!

because: it really sucks! and I'm really pissed of about this shit.

@Bridgman there is only 1 solution Burn your Windows-Modem and your Blue-ray-DRM-Copyprotection-player and your dirty little secret Xbox320 with fire!

just burn it! after that I'm happy with you (again).

just do it! get the gasoline and fire and burn it in your wood oven!

and please make pictures and post it in the forum yes please!

This Satanic 666 crap win-modem+blueray+xbox and your MIcrosoft-Vista license must burn in FIRE!

only FIRE can heal this! and make sure you burn the ash a second time! just to be sure!

and you need to distribute the ash far far far far to make sure this satanic evil never comes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    ok besides the watermark.
    amd is just paid by microsoft they promised that every linux customer are punished!
    and if AMD do this very well Microsoft buy the next xbox chip from AMD to pay them well.

o don't worry next time they make a tattoo on your face just to be sure no watermark is needed again.
    and next time you get a brand character on your butt just to tell you "Its unsupported hardware" !
    and if this don't work means: '''you stop using Linux'' then the Bill-Gates-MAFIA comes to you with Guns in the night and shot at your home! just to make sure you get the message "Its unsupported hardware"!
    anyway "unsupported hardware" this message will never comes if you use windows this means in real its the message : "Use windows or you get unsupported hardware watermark/tattoo in your face/brand character on your butt "

this picture show how microsoft and amd works dirty little secret!

but this is only the structure of the MAFIA but how does it work exactly?

now its clear the watermark is a punishment next time your finger is "offline"

This card really looks like my GTX 260 sp216 !

The performance is very very nice, I congratulate AMD.
    The good thing is that driver works, as Michael reported (HUGE THANK YOU for buying hardware!), even if it is catalyst.

Im not asking about WINE. Not asking about Logo. Not asking about opensource. Means basic 3D functionality can be made to work with catalyst, ok.

It looks like it will have good application compensating amd bulldozer fail on desktop market.

Does this card OpenCL in Linux? Im looking towards more benchmarks and usage scenarios!

I donīt mind Bridgeman uses Xbox or Vista. I mind if the AMD hardware support for linux is crap, that is Bridgemanīs job, no?
    Opensource for 7xxx is not ready and overall position towards opensource driver is very low - low budget segment.

They decided to go with proprietary, but they must understand that nvidia has proprietary working for years so they are not gaining anything this route; unless the support is done for [x] mark - like "we can too".

Because AMD does catalyst because of workstation customers, but they know desktop users prefer opensource. Im sure workstation customers would prefer opensource as well.

If you cannot package opensource due to IP, what is that IP specifically?

Maybe do it like Oracle with virtualbox - OSE and closed source edition(based on OSE).

If I, as linux user, is to buy this card or 580, i would probably go to 580, because hardware is good - but only if driver can use it efficiently. Once again looking for more benchies. Im very unsure if I would recommend AMD to anyone however (because (and untill) they are not interested in selling their hardware in the first place).
    Last edited by crazycheese; 03-13-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I can't say that this will cause me to upgrade my 6850 1GB, but next generation... who knows.
    How is your current experience on Linux with 6850? You using catalyst or opensource? What is broken?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    I donīt mind Bridgeman uses Xbox or Vista. I mind if the AMD hardware support for linux is crap, that is Bridgemanīs job, no?
    Opensource for 7xxx is not ready and overall position towards opensource driver is very low - low budget segment.
    the catalyst is not his job. the catalyst works with "watermark"

his job is to manage the open-source driver and the open source driver is not working and not ready. because of management failure.

the management failure of Bridgman causes that the radeon driver is not ready!

if you are a hardware company and you are a manager to manage the devs for a driver then you have to make sure the driver runs on hardware release date!

this means Bridgman FAIL!

and he fail because he calculate like this: Linux market-share is shit because of this we give shit money on the driver dev team and because of this the driver is shit or in other words not ready.

now he comes with lies like: amd do not write the open-source driver by there own they only support the community.. LOL LOL!!!! what kind of support? i can not download the hd7970 hardware spec!

this means they fail again NO support with the hardware release no SPECs and no sample CODE and no DRIVER.

ok last time with the r600 the start was understandable but this time they had 4 years to manage the future hd7970 driver or spec release.

but they prefer to not support there product on release time because of management failure!

and this IS Bridgman's Job!