Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7950: Southern Islands Isn't Yet A Penguin Holiday

Yes, but you must make a lot of your posts look less baby-style - if we are to show this thread to AMD management for them to check if what Bridgeman does is sufficient to his position.

Donīt get me wrong, even if your accusements are correct (and accusements are critisism, and there is no correction if there is no critisism); they are formulated in a away that will make most people think your are from kindergarten. They will stop reading it just by looking at them. Donīt be from kindergarten.

Otherwise they will think linux users are kindergarten chilren.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Yes, but you must make a lot of your posts look less baby-style - if we are to show this thread to AMD management for them to check if what Bridgeman does is sufficient to his position.

Donīt get me wrong, even if your accusements are correct (and accusements are critisism, and there is no correction if there is no critisism); they are formulated in a away that will make most people think your are from kindergarten. They will stop reading it just by looking at them. Donīt be from kindergarten.

Otherwise they will think linux users are kindergarten chilren.
    sure but no one pays me to be serious. why should i be serious in my private leisure?

anyway your word used: "accusements " is really old and obsolete http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/accusement its only used 1828 - 1913

"there is no correction if there is no critisism"

a correction is impossible in a capitalism company because the bottle neck is the money and the market share they calculate the investing money based on the market-share this means linux drivers always will only get 2% and windows 98%.

in other words Bridgman's managing job is to make sure the Linux-loser-community will stay on the Loser side. his job in real is to waste the 2% most effectively an example of this waste is the UVD work waste money the "linux" money and in the end they release nothing because its a security risk to there DRM/Copy-protection shit.

and why its so important do make sure UVD is a part of the Failure? its easy UVD is a key part of the Obsolescence it makes shure the hd2900 never gets accelerated bits and it makes sure only obsolete codexes like h264 gets accelerated and not modern and opensource codex like WebM

also UVD1 vs UVD2 and UVD3 what do you want divX ? put your card into garbage and buy a new UVD3 based card! obsolescence everywhere!
    a shader based solution is a horror show for obsolescence people your hardware are not obsolete if a new codex shows up because the shader can handle the new codex as well.

another example of wasting the money is the RadeonHD vs Radeon "fight" another example of wasting the "Opensource" linux money is on wasting the money on closed source drivers means catalyst every single dollar/euro wasted on closed source catalyst is "Lost" and will never help the "Opensource" idea of linux.

something goes really wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    This card really looks like my GTX 260 sp216 !

The performance is very very nice, I congratulate AMD.
    The good thing is that driver works, as Michael reported (HUGE THANK YOU for buying hardware!), even if it is catalyst.

Im not asking about WINE. Not asking about Logo. Not asking about opensource. Means basic 3D functionality can be made to work with catalyst, ok.

It looks like it will have good application compensating amd bulldozer fail on desktop market.

Does this card OpenCL in Linux? Im looking towards more benchmarks and usage scenarios!

I donīt mind Bridgeman uses Xbox or Vista. I mind if the AMD hardware support for linux is crap, that is Bridgemanīs job, no?
    Opensource for 7xxx is not ready and overall position towards opensource driver is very low - low budget segment.

They decided to go with proprietary, but they must understand that nvidia has proprietary working for years so they are not gaining anything this route; unless the support is done for [x] mark - like "we can too".

Because AMD does catalyst because of workstation customers, but they know desktop users prefer opensource. Im sure workstation customers would prefer opensource as well.

If you cannot package opensource due to IP, what is that IP specifically?

Maybe do it like Oracle with virtualbox - OSE and closed source edition(based on OSE).

If I, as linux user, is to buy this card or 580, i would probably go to 580, because hardware is good - but only if driver can use it efficiently. Once again looking for more benchies. Im very unsure if I would recommend AMD to anyone however (because (and untill) they are not interested in selling their hardware in the first place).
    Why would you even have to think about recommending AMD video cards to a Linux user?

AMD doesn't support Linux at all!!!! The 7950 is already released and there's virtually no linux support. There's still a watermark?!?!!? LOL! A $500 video card and you can't even use it in your chosen OS without tinkering with the driver yourself?!? AMD has virtually no Linux support.

It's already released and there's ZERO open source support and they do nothing about the proprietary driver support. AMD continues to be an epic fail in Linux and the reason why is they don't give a crap about Linux. They care even less than Nvidia does. It's just cheaper to have an OSS driver that they can load off to Linux users.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Why would you even have to think about recommending AMD video cards to a Linux user?

AMD doesn't support Linux at all!!!! The 7950 is already released and there's virtually no linux support. There's still a watermark?!?!!? LOL! A $500 video card and you can't even use it in your chosen OS without tinkering with the driver yourself?!? AMD has virtually no Linux support.

It's already released and there's ZERO open source support and they do nothing about the proprietary driver support. AMD continues to be an epic fail in Linux and the reason why is they don't give a crap about Linux. They care even less than Nvidia does. It's just cheaper to have an OSS driver that they can load off to Linux users.
    This is basically what I try to fix, to the extent which is possible as normal buyer.
    You didnīt have VIA in your hands.... haha.

Michael, the description text in the PNG renders has become unreadable. The above sample is from this article, the below one from the previous GPU review ($10 Nvidia).

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post

you are right here I'm a AMD "fanboy" and i also count this as "ZERO" support.

yes you pay 500€ in europe to get a "Demo" LOL and the watermark make sure that this is a "Demo"

also the opensource side no spec means: ZERO support no code sample means: ZERO support no driver: ZERO support.

they don't try to push any informations.

To those complaining that AMDs latest cards are not yet supported: you're right, it is annoying and I would have liked the Catalyst driver to support it upon its release. However, as far as I can see, AMD had 2 options:

1) Release the hardware now, with a driver for upwards of 95% of their userbase (the Windows users), and get the Linux driver out as quickly as they can.

2) Delay the release for all their customers, on the basis that a small minority would not have a driver.

I think their decision was reasonable. To be inconvenienced by this, I believe you would need all of the following:
    a) to be a Linux user (< 5% of their userbase)
    b) to be wanting to buy and able to afford/justify a cutting-edge graphics card (20% of linux users?)
    c) an unwillingness/inability to spend about 5 minutes checking out linux driver support for newly released hardware

I'm deliberately avoiding the "I want that hardware now" option, as I think that is covered by the 2 options that AMD had), so I think the number of people that meet all 3 criteria are going to be very slim.

PS: there seems to be very little trust in AMD - that the open source driver hasn't been released is definitely a shame (I believe AMD would agree with that), but that doesn't mean that it isn't coming - they're making it work before they release the driver, and I imagine the documentation is going through their review process.
    Last edited by archibald; 03-13-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added a postscript

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post

Michael, the description text in the PNG renders has become unreadable. The above sample is from this article, the below one from the previous GPU review ($10 Nvidia).

What browser are you using to see the PNG version? I know why the text is smaller and its due to updating the bilde_renderer implementation from PTS 3.8 which uses the new IR and its handled differently and PNG is less well optimized. Though looking forward to poor-SVG-supported-browsers to die soon so that PNG needs will be greatly reduced.

Default No Watermark with Catalyst 12.2

Back to facts:

The main problem with Michaels article is that he used an unofficial driver instead of Catalyst 12.2 which shows no watermark for me and was released only some days later:

Michael wrote: "As far as the Catalyst Linux driver goes, I was using an fglrx 8.95 series driver, which is very similar to the recently released Catalyst 12.2. This driver, which is marked as fglrx 8.95.3 and the OpenGL 4.2.11566 driver"

The Catalyst 12.2 shows me OpenGL 4.2.11554, so it is definitely not identical.

Second thing is, that my 7950 worked also with 12.1, with the only limitation of the locked clock speed, which is not a problem under linux at all, because there is no linux-game I know that would need extra performance of this card.
    The only "real" problem WAS the watermark, which did not disturb me at all...
    And on Windows it was almost the same. To use my 7950 I had to install a non-certified driver first...

Besides: I had an Nvidia GTX260 before and mainly switched to ati because of www.sebastian-siebert.de which wrote a very nice script for opensuse, that automagically re-builds the driver after a kernel-upgrade without any user-intervention. With suse-tumbleweed as a rolling distro and NVIDIA I hit the text-console almost every week and had to rebuilt myself...

@Michael & Phoronix: I like most of the phoronix-articles, there are (from time to time as in this article) too many repetitions and/or a bit too much complaining about things that are not as worse.

Cheers, Tom

For those crying/whining about no open-source support, AMD never promised quick open-source support, and it's completely unreasonable to expect it with a different architecture. If they just removed the damn watermark and replaced it with a warning in CCC, then their drivers would be fine.