Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Default Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Arriving just days after the first alpha release of the Beefy Miracle, the beta was published today for the upcoming "Precise Pangolin" operating system, a.k.a. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2NDc

Afaik Precise Beta ships the final release of LibreOffice 3.5, not the beta one, since 3.5 has been officially released quite a while ago.

I've been running Precise Alpha 2 on my AMD Fusion (more specifically, A8-3850) HTPC for a bit. The only substantial gripe I have -- considering that it's been alpha -- is that HDMI audio doesn't seem to work with the open-source driver (and due to the blender of AMD model numbers vs. codenames, I'm not sure whether it should or not).

That, and I don't really care for Unity. But if Alt+F2 works, I don't obsess too much over the GUI concept since I'm mostly running XBMC.

So I guess what I'm saying is "Ubuntu 12.04 might not be a manifest disaster". Does that qualify as damning with faint praise?

Default My next Ubuntu 12.4 is Open Suse 12.1

I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1. Other then a little bit of a learning curve with the rpm package system it uses (yum), I am very happy with it

If Ubuntu ever reaches its aspirations of being a first rate phone/tablet/tv I may give it a try in one of these products. But for now I need Linux Desktop computing, which is some thng Ubuntu really just isn't interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1.
    You are the kind of person that only spreads FUD. Kubuntu is not going away.

Canonical is dropping financial support for Kubuntu, that is all. They're not actively stopping development. Afaik they only had one paid developer working on Kubuntu anyway, so it's not like they're removing a huge amount of manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I've been running Precise Alpha 2 on my AMD Fusion (more specifically, A8-3850) HTPC for a bit. The only substantial gripe I have -- considering that it's been alpha -- is that HDMI audio doesn't seem to work with the open-source driver (and due to the blender of AMD model numbers vs. codenames, I'm not sure whether it should or not).
    Since kernel 3.0 HDMI is disabled by default. Some people seem to experience "blank screens" with it...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/864735
    tl;dr: You need to load the radeon module with "radeon.audio=1".

Quote Originally Posted by siban View Post
    You are the kind of person that only spreads FUD. Kubuntu is not going away.
    That's true and Kubuntu 12.04 will have long term support. There's a chance it will become even better now.

...the default music player is back to using GNOME's Rhythmbox.
    I'm getting dizzy over these changes. Back and forth, back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1. Other then a little bit of a learning curve with the rpm package system it uses (yum), I am very happy with it
    I guess you'll be missing dist-upgrade in about 6 months.