Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: X.Org Was Not Accepted To GSoC 2012

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    This is not why. Please don't spread misinformation.
    It's my opinion, dude, chill. If you have knowledge, why not share?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    It's my opinion, dude, chill. If you have knowledge, why not share?
    Because, dude, the reason isn't public information.

    In the future, express your opinions as if they were actually opinions, and not as if you're stating a fact.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    Because, dude, the reason isn't public information.
    In the future, express your opinions as if they were actually opinions, and not as if you're stating a fact

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    In the future, express your opinions as if they were actually opinions, and not as if you're stating a fact
    Hm, sorry. I understand. I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or if you messed up quoting me.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    122

    Default It wasnt a mistake, nor too much of a troll.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    Hm, sorry. I understand. I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or if you messed up quoting me.
    You told someone to stop stating opinions and use facts.

    However, you then said your 'facts' are not public information, and gave no reason to disprove his, other than what you say.

    I also say that X.Org has received over $1mil private funding for development, and thats why Google didnt give them any GSOC places.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    The mistake was that Wayland was submitted together with Xorg (Mesa is still OK IMHO). As it currently stands, the latter one will be slowly phased out and more interesting development will be in Wayland in next few years (it will still take time before it can be a ready to replace Xorg with the "glitch-free" layer for X apps).
    Perhaps also previous attempts in GSOC didn't work well with these projects. Probably it is too hard for students, because of complexity and requiring a lot of heavy lifting and dealing with a lot of the old cruft.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    You told someone to stop stating opinions and use facts.

    However, you then said your 'facts' are not public information, and gave no reason to disprove his, other than what you say.
    I asked someone who knows, and he explained why we weren't accepted. It doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,162

    Default What a shame

    What a shame!

    I would really like to have seen X approved.
    - We need XRandR 1.4.
    - There is probably old code to be cleaned up, removed, deprecated.
    - More work towards multi-GPU.
    - Perhaps multi-touch needs maturing.
    - Some of the features/merits of Wayland could be implemented in X.
    - Work on X on Wayland and Wayland on X.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    342

    Default cool

    Xorg, when the kitchen sink won't fit into the pile.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    I asked someone who knows, and he explained why we weren't accepted. It doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not.
    Haha sorry, fair enough

    I have no reason to not believe you either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •