Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whoops, There's A Big Problem For Wayland GTK+

Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    And how old is this statement? One or two years?
    Somewhere around that. If Wayland ends up being adopted as the new standard for Linux, then I'm not sure what will happen to the binary drivers. Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.
    My last information is that wayland need only egl and something similar to KMS.

Somewhere around that. If Wayland ends up being adopted as the new standard for Linux, then I'm not sure what will happen to the binary drivers. Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.
    AFAIK Gallium isn't a requirement, KMS and EGL however are. This means Wayland is a big no-no on binary blobs. KMS won't be easy for nvidia to implement in their binary blob (anyone remember the mess when OSS drivers became KMS enabled?). Another hard requirement for Wayland is EGL support, which I don't know if the binary blobs support. AMD has the upper hand here with their OSS driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by 85c51 View Post
    they will probably support it once it gets more traction
    That is vey wishful thinking. Both companies have repeatedly said that their binary blobs target mainly Workstations. Wayland is meant for desktops/embedded. If OSS drivers die, so does the Linux desktop.

That's a problem?

Does that mean that gtk 3.4 will actually compile against wayland git libraries? And does that mean that cairo gl actually works with wayland now?

Right now wayland + weston with mesa git and stable cairo without gl and egl is very broken. Wayland-terminal crashes after inputting some characters or selecting something with the mouse, weston will crash after about 2 minutes of usage..

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    That is vey wishful thinking. Both companies have repeatedly said that their binary blobs target mainly Workstations. Wayland is meant for desktops/embedded. If OSS drivers die, so does the Linux desktop.

what stops wayland from being used in workstations.

ubuntu will switch to wayland at some point and i am pretty sure the blob people will support it (at least i hope amd will )

There's also the question of licensing. If the kernel does not provide non-GPL symbols for the KMS interface, then it effectively disallows the blobs to do KMS. But that's an "if", I don't actually know.

In general, KMS in the blobs doesn't sound impossible. They would need glue in form of a kernel module with the actual functionality being provided by the blob.

There's also the question of licensing. If the kernel does not provide non-GPL symbols for the KMS interface, then it effectively disallows the blobs to do KMS. But that's an "if", I don't actually know.

In general, KMS in the blobs doesn't sound impossible. They would need glue in form of a kernel module with the actual functionality being provided by the blob.
    wayland can work with openWF which i think is something similar to KMS and can be implemented without licensing concerns

might be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I don't see how this is a problem for Wayland gtk+. It's problem for buggy nvidia blob. I hope nobody will wait for nvidia to support Wayland. It will be another reason to use AMD (if Catalyst won't have any problems).
    Masterpiece of sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Masterpiece of sarcasm
    only because you buy a nvidia card?