Thread: openSUSE 12.2 Will Bring Plymouth, GRUB2, GCC 4.7

Default openSUSE 12.2 Will Bring Plymouth, GRUB2, GCC 4.7

Phoronix: openSUSE 12.2 Will Bring Plymouth, GRUB2, GCC 4.7

OpenSUSE 12.2 Milestone 2 is available today with several new features as the German-founded Linux distribution prepares for its official release this summer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3Mzg

what the eff were they using all these years. is there an alternative to plymouth that gives you early boot animations?

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    what the eff were they using all these years. is there an alternative to plymouth that gives you early boot animations?
    According to my Zypper, Bootsplash. And given that you still have to rely on things like VESA for the bootspash, there were not a whole lot of reasons to switch. Well, I guess it will work better with opensource drivers now, though.

But GRUB2 is a really nice thing to have! Too bad it doesn't install directly at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    Of course there are, on my Gentoo boxes I use fbsplash, except for the laptop that boots fast enough not to bother installing any.