A Linux Game That's Still Not Selling Well
Phoronix: A Linux Game That's Still Not Selling Well
While the new Humble Bundle is already pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars, there's a new Source Engine game coming to Linux, and Wasteland 2 is likely coming to Linux, as just some of the recent Linux gaming achievements, there's still not a surplus of Linux-native games. Even without there being excessive amounts of Linux-native games, not all of the titles that do come are destined to sell well...
Wait... You're not being paid by Unigine to promote OilRush?! You've mentioned it in almost every gaming story for the past year, relevant or not - so you can understand why somebody might think you're in league with Unigine, and by extension you can see why they would think they'd need to cross your palm with silver to get better coverage. Even when you come out saying that you're not paid by Unigine, part of me doesn't believe it.
In the future if you don't want people to think you're a mouthpiece for another company you should limit the content given to something based on the actual news it generates. A few articles here and there when something happens is great. Mentioning it every day (as it seems to some of us lowly readers) is over the top.
Last edited by oliw; 03-21-2012 at 09:43 AM.
I donīt like the direction whole thing develops now.
* please donīt be rude or pissed off. linux gamers want good games just as windows gamers.
* maybe you could use "kickstarter"
* do ad videos properly, advertising future features and benefits of pre-ordering. But not in style of "development log". Development logs are completely different thing!
* I see the problem, that you "sell copies" to fund game development, where you should "preorder copies". Why? Because you are literally selling unfinished game and gamers are not programmers.
* be nice. please, please
* I can understand that Michael can not directly accept payment from you, but he mainly develops testing system. Because you develop 3d game, you could easily add what he asks and as such come into cooperation. But I think he is pissed at you a bit, because you are pissed about sales, of unfinished game.
* does this game autogenerates dungeons? Mod-friendly? LAN coop possible? more char classes(I clearly see a warlock there )?
* (im pretty sure it will never be opensource, so this place is intentionally left blank)
diablo got accepted because of very interesting combination of autogenerating terrain/monsters with high-quality content.
hexen/heretic due to massive use of medival theme (aka doom2 as warlock).
what points are you using that could make your game unique?
Honestly, this guy (motorsep or whatever he's called) is an ass-hole, the more it goes, the more it shows. I think lots of people would have given him some goodwill in exchange for a little more consideration on his part, but he's just pissing on everybody from HiB to Phoronix and Linux users in general (see last thread on this very site).
There's no lack of good games, on Linux or not, and acting like an ass with your own audience isn't going to help.
So, as far as I'm concerned, all Kot-in-action games are from now on a big no-no. I have a huge backlog of games i purchase to support indies even though I don't have time to play them, but all things Kot will have no place in it.
kick starter is indeed good option.
see FTL is a good example:
and the devs are very nice, which contributed also to their success (well you cant be rude/demanding on KS)
anyway I still support kot (really liked their previous games), however my wallet is fatigued right now.. ;/
Last edited by madjr; 03-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.
@Motorsep PR public work is not your strength because of this you should let experts do this work just put you game into a humble indie bundle yes you don't like it but in fact they do a much better job in public work than you do!
i personal like your games but you need to do hard work much more hard work.
only 1 kind of enemy is boring and the skeletons need weapons
we also need glowworms in the air and a feature to earn the glowworms to light up the map or enemys.
we need to make the bones of the skelettions usefull so we can earn it and use it for example to build a teammade with bones and magic!
and if you earn more and more bones you can build a stronger and bigger one.