Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: A Linux Game That's Still Not Selling Well

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    352

    Default

    the other dev uowaep seems nicer: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...2#post-1999806

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

    If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
    • Dull, repetitive level design.
    • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
    • Only three enemy types shown.
    • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
    • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.

    I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I actually checked out tomes via the video preview and wasnt impressed with it sure i know its an alpha and things will be changed before final release but it wasnt enough to make me open my wallet for the game, on the other hand i did purchase their first ever DLC for Steel Storm and contributed to Steel Storm 2 development. Also i think they need more of a PR puah on that game i was not aware of Tomes being developed it was only because i visited their store to purchase the DLC that i became aware they were doing another game besides Steel Storm 2. They didnt even advertise the game via the newsletter email sent out to advertise the Steel Storm DLC

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Could it actually be that that Tomes of Mephistopheles looks like shit, a concept not many ppl are interested in? nop gotta be zero coverage...
    If Kot In Action wanted coverage on Phoronix they should have said Tomes of Mephistopheles will use SOURCE and there may be a linux client.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    tried to see screenshots or a video and all i get is a tiny black window in the middle of the screen. a crappy website is no way to sell something.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Read the posts of uowaep, his reactions to the crowd answers are really great! Maybe he should take PR part?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
    I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

    If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
    • Dull, repetitive level design.
    • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
    • Only three enemy types shown.
    • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
    • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.

    I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.
    Exactly, you hit the nail there.

    i also think crowdfunding site would definetly help.

    Is not just about coverage , is about learning to market your stuff real good.

    Your ad can be on the Superbowl, but if its not done right is not gona do crap for your sales.

    and they cant blame linux users, am sure we've shown more interest in giving them a hand than other users from other platforms who usually dont give a **** about indies and focus on triple A titles.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naib View Post
    Could it actually be that that Tomes of Mephistopheles looks like shit, a concept not many ppl are interested in? nop gotta be zero coverage...
    If Kot In Action wanted coverage on Phoronix they should have said Tomes of Mephistopheles will use SOURCE and there may be a linux client.
    How dare you besmirch Quake With Swords from Feces in Action*.

    * http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/kot

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    How dare you besmirch Quake With Swords from Feces in Action*.

    * http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/kot
    You can go translate mist in german. Misty misty stars

    Kot is russian and means Cat.
    Other variants: Koto, Kotyara, Koshak.


  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    342

    Default Spock vs the entire jedi league of extraordinary gentelmens

    Seriously, RTS is 90's technology.

    Here we go 2012 and Linux developers still can't manage destructible environments.

    You got Carmack trying to sell 90's doom technology with flat textures.

    The only real game I'd buy is Red Faction. Why? Destructible environments!

    Get Red Faction on Linux and you got a #1 release. Maybe port boy Ryan can coherece Volition into letting him give us some real shet for Linux.
    Ps. Fighting games still sell mad.
    FiN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •