Thread: Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

Hybrid View

Default Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

Phoronix: Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

As Phoronix Forums readers have been quick to discover, early "beta" builds of AMD's Catalyst 12.3 proprietary Linux driver have begun to appear publicly...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3NjI

Wierd... I thought I ended up on a Catalyst 12.3 page when I went through the usual amd.com driver selection menus... and I'm pretty sure it said 12.3 was 8.95. When I go there now I'm back to Cat 12.2 (released in first week of March) but I'm not seeing the reference to 8.95 any more.

Ahh, here we go... it was from the link at the top of the "Catalyst 12-3 released" thread :

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ded_linux.aspx

That one *does* say 8.95. Thought I was losing it there for a minute.

but rather is set to be introduced in fglrx 8.97 (Catalyst 12.4).
    Hey, I didn't say *that*
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Wierd... I thought I ended up on a Catalyst 12.3 page when I went through the usual amd.com driver selection menus... and I'm pretty sure it said 12.3 was 8.95. When I go there now I'm back to Cat 12.2 (released in first week of March) but I'm not seeing the reference to 8.95 any more.

Ahh, here we go... it was from the link at the top of the "Catalyst 12-3 released" thread :

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ded_linux.aspx

That one *does* say 8.95. Thought I was losing it there for a minute.

Hey, I didn't say *that*
    Well if you can't keep track of this, how are we supposed to?

I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.
    Can you ask someone to look into the DPMS issue where it doesn't resume monitors from sleep mode and quits responding to the keyboard? I've ran into so many people with that problem that I know it has to be wide spread. Is there any QA that goes into FGLRX besides referring to Lindows and XFree86 and calling Linux "like DOS"? It just seems that if I run into things like this after 5 minutes, then you'd think someone at AMD would as well.

That bundle has so many bugs I don't know how you can call it suitable for production systems.

When I walk away from my system and the monitor goes to sleep, I shouldn't have to hold in my power button to make the system shut down because the "production ready" driver can't get DPMS right. At least I can't see people being amused by that.

Please cite this bug report if you can.

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=463

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Can you ask someone to look into the DPMS issue where it doesn't resume monitors from sleep mode and quits responding to the keyboard? I've ran into so many people with that problem that I know it has to be wide spread. Is there any QA that goes into FGLRX besides referring to Lindows and XFree86 and calling Linux "like DOS"? It just seems that if I run into things like this after 5 minutes, then you'd think someone at AMD would as well.
    To be fair I never ran into that bug with my measly HD4200, but another Atom netbook I have was having that exact same problem. Maybe it's not a fglrx problem directly?