Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

Phoronix: Early AMD Catalyst 12.3 Linux Drivers Seep Out

As Phoronix Forums readers have been quick to discover, early "beta" builds of AMD's Catalyst 12.3 proprietary Linux driver have begun to appear publicly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wierd... I thought I ended up on a Catalyst 12.3 page when I went through the usual amd.com driver selection menus... and I'm pretty sure it said 12.3 was 8.95. When I go there now I'm back to Cat 12.2 (released in first week of March) but I'm not seeing the reference to 8.95 any more.

Ahh, here we go... it was from the link at the top of the "Catalyst 12-3 released" thread :

That one *does* say 8.95. Thought I was losing it there for a minute.

but rather is set to be introduced in fglrx 8.97 (Catalyst 12.4).
    Hey, I didn't say *that*
    Last edited by bridgman; 23 March 2012, 12:22 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Wierd... I thought I ended up on a Catalyst 12.3 page when I went through the usual amd.com driver selection menus... and I'm pretty sure it said 12.3 was 8.95. When I go there now I'm back to Cat 12.2 (released in first week of March) but I'm not seeing the reference to 8.95 any more.

Ahh, here we go... it was from the link at the top of the "Catalyst 12-3 released" thread :

That one *does* say 8.95. Thought I was losing it there for a minute.

Hey, I didn't say *that*
      Well if you can't keep track of this, how are we supposed to?

Comment

I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.
          Can you ask someone to look into the DPMS issue where it doesn't resume monitors from sleep mode and quits responding to the keyboard? I've ran into so many people with that problem that I know it has to be wide spread. Is there any QA that goes into FGLRX besides referring to Lindows and XFree86 and calling Linux "like DOS"? It just seems that if I run into things like this after 5 minutes, then you'd think someone at AMD would as well.

That bundle has so many bugs I don't know how you can call it suitable for production systems.

When I walk away from my system and the monitor goes to sleep, I shouldn't have to hold in my power button to make the system shut down because the "production ready" driver can't get DPMS right. At least I can't see people being amused by that.

Comment

Please cite this bug report if you can.

Comment

These are indeed 12.4 series drivers, not 12.3

Comment

traditional http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ded_linux.aspx is not official enough ?

Comment

sigh

Sigh...
                  still not working with precise.
                  It says unsupported hardware(in the bottom right corner of the screen), i have a HD 4350.

Comment

In my case works good (works xv acceleration in 720p and 1080p h.264 used in UMPlayer and VLC 2.0.1), this drivers appears in repository 8.960

My specs machine is:

Lubuntu 12.04 daily bulid 22 march 32 bits

CPU: AMD A4 3300 2.5Ghz

IGP: ATI Radeon HD6410D 512MB shared memory

RAM: 4 gb ram 2x2 1333 DDRIII

DD: 320gb 7200

Comment

Working...
                    X