Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Btrfs & Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Hybrid View

Default Btrfs & Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Phoronix: Btrfs & Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

What does the Linux Btrfs file-system and Valve's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game have in common?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3NjM

Long Life to FTRFS!

and yes nice steam linux valve work

10 to 1, if there is a binary coming is a Linux server. It nearly always is. However since Source has been ported to OS X one suspects that a Linux port wouldn't be out of the question. One would just question the business reason in that, Linux is a 1% market share and not known for its excellent drivers nor an abundance of gamers. Hard to support and the pay off is low, I still say nay.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNielsen View Post
    10 to 1, if there is a binary coming is a Linux server. It nearly always is. However since Source has been ported to OS X one suspects that a Linux port wouldn't be out of the question. One would just question the business reason in that, Linux is a 1% market share and not known for its excellent drivers nor an abundance of gamers. Hard to support and the pay off is low, I still say nay.
    Even if Linux is just 1% for now (I doubt) when there will be games on it, there will be no reason to use windows or os x. Sadly, this games isn't something I would buy.

No Linux client guys.

I work at a game company, and we recently met with guys from Steam about integrating the Steam Workshop in a game.
    And we asked whether a Linux client for Steam would be released.
    The answer is no. Not enough players, a wide range of configurations to support, each having intrinsic differences...
    So NO. And NOT IN THE COMING YEARS.

Michael, when will you stop with those stupid assumptions?

As for Fractal Trees. I found out about those and send a mail to phoronix since those things really seem to be scaling very well! The downside of those things is CPU bound. And they will certainly use your CPU. Perhaps even too much and that might be a potential issue.

As for Fractal Trees being a drop in replacement for B-Trees.. Perhaps, don't know. Yet again, remember very carefullt that TukoDB (that uses Fractal trees) is a drop in replacement for InnoDB! That last part is very important, InnoDB!

simply "replace" a current dataset build with B-Tree with a Fractal Tree is probably not very likely to happen since they likely store data different.

Quote Originally Posted by Armurier View Post
    a wide range of configurations to support, each having intrinsic differences...
    I don't understand that argument. Just create a distribution agnostic tarball with the binaries that is tested and runs on Ubuntu. Packagers will do the rest.

Take for example the Archlinux package for google chrome dev. It earlier used the .deb package, now uses the .rpm package. It works. It doesn't need to be their job.

Wasn't this article, like, supposed to be published next Sunday? Get your timing straight, phoronix...

Linux dedicated server *yawn*

If f-trees are a drop-in replacement for b-trees then btrfs shouldn't have too much trouble adapting them...