Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New BFS "Smoking" Scheduler For Linux 3.3

Hybrid View

Default A New BFS "Smoking" Scheduler For Linux 3.3

Phoronix: A New BFS "Smoking" Scheduler For Linux 3.3

Con Kolivas announced this weekend the release of an updated BFS scheduler for the recently-released Linux 3.3 kernel. The new BFS scheduler is at version 0.420 and is codenamed "Smoking", with "a fairly large architectural change" since earlier versions of this out-of-tree kernel scheduler...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3Njg

Nice version number...one laid back mellow scheduler this version

All kidding aside, this scheduler does work quite well IMO and here's to its continued improvement

Default Where does this patch apply nowadays?

The regular kernel can do 0.33ms latency now. Where would this patch be applicable currently?

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
    The regular kernel can do 0.33ms latency now. Where would this patch be applicable currently?
    My ass it can. BFS is still more responsive than CFS.

Peace.
    War.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    My ass it can. BFS is still more responsive than CFS.

War.
    Why is it that some people go online, and write really lame-ass responses. "war". LOL. In my mail it said "fucking war". You removed the "fucking". Dude the whole thing is really lame. Forget about "war". Forget about "more responsive". 0.33ms = feels like vintage hardware. And they are always working to push that down, because os-jitter = worse performance with several cpu`s, and that means low latency = good.

If you ask me, Con seems to be wasting his time. If he is complaining it is taking too much of his time, he should just forget about it. Unless he has some personal quest for his dual core. Generally it is not a noticable gain for most, and I think that was who he had in mind, in the beginning.

Take a break, Linux is there. Celebrate and have fun.

Peace (to you).

He has a quad core, not dual. And the improvements can be felt but also measured. You can find plenty of results and graphs.

So no. He is not wasting his time. For a lot of people, Linux wouldn't be the same without CK's work.

Btw, writing "peace" at the bottom of your posts does not make you look cool. Unless you're Jamaican. Otherwise you're just a poser.

Why is it that some people go online, and write really lame-ass responses. "war". LOL. In my mail it said "fucking war". You removed the "fucking". Dude the whole thing is really lame.
    It is true, I also got the same text in my email.

And your repulsive ignorance with "peace" etc, is inexpressibly stupid. Get educated, learn about some other cultures. And you will find it is a common greeting, and in groups far larger than jamaicans, rastafari, and hasish smoking.
    +1

RealNC, do you feel cool if you write that? Get some peace, man.

Default worst case latency

It seems to me that some people are not placing enough value on worst-case latency for user interactivity and responsiveness. Most of the benchmarks I have seen here measure throughput and average latency. When I am using my computer, the worst feeling is if it "freezes" for a few seconds, even if that only happens once an hour, it really bothers me. I would be willing to give up a lot of throughput (or tolerate higher average latency) if it can eliminate such freezes. I don't know that BFS can accomplish that (or linux realtime, or something else), but whether another scheduler could eliminate such freezes or not, I don't think the benchmarks being discussed do a good job of measuring this issue.

Yo, peace mah man. Me an' mah homies are chillin' an' readin' thah forums. Yo, check it out man, people are writin' "peace" cuz it makes 'em look cool.

As for BFS, it's still better than CFS. I get XRUNS with JACK when running CFS that I do not get with BFS. So it's not a placebo, it's actually audible.

Word. (/me crosses hands over my chest and makes the peace sign)
    Last edited by RealNC; 03-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Yo, peace mah man. Me an' mah homies are chillin' an' readin' thah forums. Yo, check it out man, people are writin' "peace" cuz it makes 'em look cool.

As for BFS, it's still better than CFS. I get XRUNS with JACK when running CFS that I do not get with BFS. So it's not a placebo, it's actually audible.

Word. (/me crosses hands over my chest and makes the peace sign)
    No you`re just a retard.