Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
You've posted a config for a 2.6.39 generic kernel;

Code:
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux/x86_64 2.6.39 Kernel Configuration
# Sat May 21 00:45:30 2011
This generic kernel would not perform as well as the same kernel using the BFS patch set (not on either of my Core2duo's, and not on my AMD Phenom II 965 x4). 2.6.39 was just before linux-rt-3.0 came out. For the entire time between 2.6.33-rt and 3.0.1-rt -> i was using BFS kernels, as i had some hardware that didn't play nice with 2.6.33-rt - and subsequently ended up using BFS on all my systems, because it worked noticably betterthan CFS on the same kernel, during that period. On all machines (using 2.6.39, when it came out) BFS ran smoother / more stable & reliably for proaudio then CFS, and that's with using the 'threaded irq' boot parameter, that had been merged into mainline 2.6.39, from the -rt patches ... I tested this quite a bit at the time.

I currently use RT-kernels, but BFS is definitely a great alternative to CFS for certain workloads. I would likely be using it right now, if RT wasn't an option, or if I thought it was overkill for my usage.

To say, Con is wasting his time - as you've said before, is silly. Lots of people have been using BFS for years, in my own experiences, it was great and in situations where i was getting XRUNS with CFS (on any kernel 2.6.33+) - with BFS, they didn't exist (on several machines). I think both CFS and BFS have value, and it's healthy to have them both around.

my 2 cents
Lol, I don`t know what is going on here. I am not lying to you. Maybe you did use BFS in a time where it DID perform better. But it doesn`t anymore. Maybe that is the mindset you are used to, and fail to understand that I have been running low latencies, since atleast 2.6.36 I think.

You even have the same CPU as me. Seriously if you are using RT kernels anymore.. I don`t know, that just seems way overkill for normal audio. Usually you won`t need latencies below 5ms. If your speakers are a bit far away, you can always try to lower it. The thing is though, if you have fine granularity multitasking, everything runs smooth. And is responsive. Even without RT threads, 0.33 ms worked, not as good as with RT threads, but quite good. Meaning that the whole system is very smooth now. So yes, common applications should run very smoothly, but you do need the config for doing that. General idea of my config is to avoid components that do uneccesary things for me. So that I avoid stalls, that prevent low latencies. That could be memory compaction or similar things. Or I can`t really remember all the stuff I tweaked in the end. It was running smoothly and greatly though, and I remember thinking Linux has reached that stage. Kind of a dream for many computer enthusiasts to have a system that performs that well. Forget about your vintage computing systems, and all the cries of them being more responsive. Now you have a modern system, that has the benefits of both responsiveness, and highlevel programming.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeace. zzZ