Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
Where did you see an embedded system running uptodate software? Such obsolete hardware is most likely still running Linux 2.4 with XFree86.

And nobody is going to switch their EOL hardware to M$ crap, M$ wouldn't offer support anyway. Only for new hardware there is this chance, and they drop old code so that they can provide better features/performance for new hardware, so where is the problem again?

Or do you think embedded means last decade's failed desktop hardware? Because that's what the link you posted suggests.
I'm not so sure you're correct on the MS part, much as I hate them; but leave that for now.

That fellow is doing a new design with Debian Squeeze/kernel 2.6.32 + Xorg 7.5, which is a far cry from 2.4 + XF86 (in case you weren't paying attention, the last Debian version with a 2.4.x kernel and XF86 was 3.1 not 6.0, so you're 5 years behind the times on that.)
The board isn't one I picked, it's one his company picked.

If you're going to through out claims to 'refute' what I say, you could at least verify that they match reality and each other!

Much as you may want to think that what failed on the desktop is dead, that's wishful thinking.
Go find a PC104 board that has NVidia graphics of any age/ION, or an AMD Radeon 3xxx or better, or find any x86 board listed as "embedded" that's halfway up-to-date.
The closest I've seen is an Atom board and a few of Via's designs; those might work reasonably if the graphics work, but even 'new' designs have to be compatible with the old ones to some extent, and switching from PC104 to (say) micro-ITX may not be possible due to those constraints.
I've even found a company selling 'embedded' boards based on an AM186; they also carry an Am386 based system that comes with Linux 2.2.
I could point out several examples of out-of-date hardware if I wanted, but checking the aforementioned ones should prove that much of the embedded/x86 stuff is very much 'the last decade or two's failed hardware. Gripe all you like, but if the hardware is from the last decade, they're unusually current--or are you going to pay them the (wag) $20/device they'd spend on going with real up-to-date hardware?