Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: Qualcomm Calls To "Kill All Proprietary Drivers For Good"

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default Stay on the topic

    Stay on the topic, please, people?

    Qualcomm Calls To "Kill All Proprietary Drivers For Good".
    Hm.. What is Qualcomm GPU again? Adreno? From what I know, it's no open source, right? Okay, let's Kill all proprietary drivers for good /s

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Where did you get the idea that we had something to do with "forming the club" ?
    AMD was one of the founders of Trusted Computing Group. That's not just an encrypted multimedia connector standard; it's what the UK government now wants to use for civil computer and internet use. It's cancer and everybody hates it. It's now spanning into destroying human rights. I know it's not your idea and you probably hate DRM as much as I do; because you have to work with it. So this is not a rant against you, but against the company that you work for,

    ATI and AMD have both pushed back hard on DRM and related technologies
    I don't know about ATI, but AMD sure didn't push it back; it founded the worldwide hated DRM platform.

    , but once the rules were in place and we had to choose between implementing the standards set by others or walking away from 3/4 of the GPU market we did the same as all the other GPU hardware vendors and implemented what was needed to sell chips. Feel free to call that evil but I don't see why you are singling AMD out unless you feel that "shooting the messenger" will somehow make the world a better place.
    I'm not shooting the messenger; I'm giving consumer feedback. I don't think it will ever come across and if it does; I think not a single CEO will ever care. But literaly everybody hates DRM with a burning passion.

    Singleing out... Hah... From what? RIAA and MPAA content? Is that more important than technology? Realy? I'd rather have a working computer that I own and fully control, than watch a B-movie filled with explosions. Like I have nothing better to watch, read, learn and do. And hell... I'm still a student. But I can tell you that there's a reason the sales of the RIAA and MPAA companies are plummeting; it's not because of piracy but because most people are finding (thanks to the internet) a lot better TV shows and music. The percentage that still listens to hit charts are the people who haven't discovered the internet yet.

    Actually no... HDMI has absolutely nothing to do with BluRay other than arriving at roughly the same time and providing a convenient display connection that supported higher resolutions with a single connector. You could just as easily say that "the only reason it was adopted was HD-DVD" or "the only reason it was adopted was HD streaming video".
    Ow please... It's probably the most fundamental part of the encryption chain. From the actual HDMI FAQ:
    HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first and only industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. By delivering crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable, HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theater experience. HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable.
    I don't know about you, but that looks like a BluRay cable. (or HD-DVD which is basically a failed rival for the standard)

    The reason for supporting HDMI is that a lot of customers want to use their HDMI-connected TVs (which rarely have DVI).
    Exactly; people want to connect with HDMI because they have not other option. That's because everyone is on the fsked up DRM bandwagon, also including AMD.

    Oh and BTW; TV sales are plumeting like crazy.
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 04-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    AMD was one of the founders of Trusted Computing Group. That's not just an encrypted multimedia connector standard; it's what the UK government now wants to use for civil computer and internet use. It's cancer and everybody hates it. It's now spanning into destroying human rights. I know it's not your idea and you probably hate DRM as much as I do; because you have to work with it. So this is not a rant against you, but against the company that you work for,

    I don't know about ATI, but AMD sure didn't push it back; it founded the worldwide hated DRM platform.
    OK, I have to admit my first reaction was "WTF ? I thought we were talking about graphics". I had to look Trusted Computing up on Google to see what you were talking about... the group seems to include every company in the semi industry. You say "that's not just an encrypted multimedia connector standard" but AFAICS there is zero relationship between TC and multimedia connectors at all other than saying "they both have something to do with DRM".

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I'm not shooting the messenger; I'm giving consumer feedback. I don't think it will ever come across and if it does; I think not a single CEO will ever care. But literaly everybody hates DRM with a burning passion.
    I still haven't figured out exactly why you're "passioning" at AMD though. Is it just because I'm posting here ? If so, I would call that shooting the messenger.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Singleing out... Hah... From what? RIAA and MPAA content? Is that more important than technology? Realy? I'd rather have a working computer that I own and fully control, than watch a B-movie filled with explosions. Like I have nothing better to watch, read, learn and do. And hell... I'm still a student. But I can tell you that there's a reason the sales of the RIAA and MPAA companies are plummeting; it's not because of piracy but because most people are finding (thanks to the internet) a lot better TV shows and music. The percentage that still listens to hit charts are the people who haven't discovered the internet yet.
    So why are you picking on AMD alone rather than all the companies who are TCG members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Ow please... It's probably the most fundamental part of the encryption chain. From the actual HDMI FAQ:
    How is HDMI any different from DVI or DisplayPort in that regard ? Are you maybe thinking about HDCP rather than HDMI ?

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I don't know about you, but that looks like a BluRay cable. (or HD-DVD which is basically a failed rival for the standard)
    Sure, or a cable for any other mechanism that provides high def content.

    %5
    Last edited by bridgman; 04-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I'm currently pissed at AMD's desiscion to join the DRM-everywhere-for-MAFIAA because it's blocking FLOSS driver development. That doesn't mean that AMD's the only one doing it. If AMD would have been the only company doing it than I wouldn't even have considdered any AMD product. Just so that that's out of the way.

    So why the hatred over what seems to be copy protection? Well let's rewind the clock to the 70's. Some man thought up what is now the iPod. He had this idea for a new business model for music distribution. In order to get the big record labels onboard, for it to become a success; he had to create a protection model that only allowed music to be shared if it's also deleated from the source. And illegal copying, instead of cut and pasteing, needed to be traceable. Tada... DRM.

    Fast forward to the iPod release and Apple needed to get big music labels onboard. So in order to convince record labels to enter the digital distribution thing, Apple had to implement the DRM model, which was now feasable with large harddrives and the internet, in order to convince them Napster wasn't going to happen again.

    Given the succes for Apple, Microsoft also wanted a share of the distribution and came up with Wmv, in order to get a share of the "make money napster style".

    Then Apple wanted movie redistribution and Sony, also in the music industry, realy liked the way iTunes worked out for them. So Sony and others started working on DRM for MPEG4 and the media for it (BluRay). Also had facing the PlayStation mods, Sony wanted DRM everywhere and started requiring DRM everywhere.

    Of course then also the Trusted Platform Module was needed, and Microsoft sure didn't want to miss the action, while Apple was into the action and AMD and Intel and everyone else sure didn't want to be left out of the action. (sounds familiar?)

    So what happened was that every computer part, in order to be working with Vista and being able to be bought by Apple, had to be completely DRM-ified.

    ...

    Conclusion:
    I'm pissed of that my entire computer is broken by design, from top to bottom, just because every hardware manufacturor decided to go out of their way to please the MPAA (hence ball licking club) and screw over their customers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •