No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This news has made my day. Thank you Michael, I trust you and I can't wait to read details Have a nice day in Valve's offices

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      They've already been in contact with him as Michael said. Ryan doesn't want to move to go there and do it.
      I see - few minutes ago get second e-mail, this time by Mike Sartain. He talk the same about Rayn, and ask me advice somebody else. So this time I recommended Alternative Games. If anyone else have other ideas - you probably need to send it directly to Mike Sartain.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        I see - few minutes ago get second e-mail, this time by Mike Sartain. He talk the same about Rayn, and ask me advice somebody else. So this time I recommended Alternative Games. If anyone else have other ideas - you probably need to send it directly to Mike Sartain.
        Correct, Sartain is on this team needing more Linux/OpenGL developers, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The "doubters" will need to install a Source engine game on their computer, then examine the binaries in fine detail to verify that it isn't just a Wine wrapper, before they concede anything.

I like to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism, myself, but I'm reasonably convinced that this is a reality. And by "this", I mean, that Valve is looking into hiring someone to do this work. Unfortunately, "looking into hiring" is a long way from "having usable, released software"; so although I am sure it will come eventually once they hire someone, it could be months or years. It depends on how fast the hired-person works
          The doubter doubt for a reason, SOURCE/STEAM on linux has been hyped by phoronix "its this summer" for like 3years. Every other game-based news article then re-cited essentially some in-passing, non-citable, statement in the telegraph newspaper around the time that STEAM for Mac was coming out.

STEAM/SOURCE on linux would be a big thing! really big but with all the over-hype from phoronix over the years that it is just coming, with other source-based games (ie postal3) putting linux-native in doubt... to hear something like this the day before April the 1st simple stinks of tryhard trolling from Phoronix.

I /really/ hope that it does come, I would <3 to play DOTA2 native as well as get back into CSS, but Phoronix's trackrecord is still too prominant in mine and others minds on STEAM/SOURCE on linux and Phoronix's poor sensationalistic reporting based upon the flimsiest of rumour .

Until there is a citable statement from a Valve hosted domain this is just more trolling from Phoronix to the linux gamers that so wish their platform is taken more seriously
          Last edited by Naib; 30 March 2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite: Maybe try Edward Rudd?

He ported Penumbra/Amnesia and has worked on many of the Humble Bundle Games.

Comment

Gordon@Valve

Wouldn't it be funny if Gordon started at Valve. Making HL working on a free OS. Gordon would be a Free Man

Comment

If this is real it's big news, but too close to Aprils Fools day.

Sorry but too many people do this sorta stuff days before Aprils fools.

Comment

What about TTimo? Didn't he just leave id?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    If this is real it's big news, but too close to Aprils Fools day.

Sorry but too many people do this sorta stuff days before Aprils fools.
                    Yeah, but even trolling idiots come out and say "April Fools!" after about 50 people are like :OOOOOOOOOOOOO REALLY????

Michael has repeated dozens of times that it's NOT April Fools.

Comment

Yeah, but even trolling idiots come out and say "April Fools!" after about 50 people are like :OOOOOOOOOOOOO REALLY????

Michael has repeated dozens of times that it's NOT April Fools.
                      or this message should make it incredibly clear - http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...609#post256609 - I've never mentioned Sartain publicly (yet) on Phoronix and that he magically emails the other forum commenter after emailing Gabe? But as said, will push for them to do a Phoronix video in April.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X