Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    also in german you have to pin your supject "in DASS" means the target is bier museum.
    [...]
    and yes die Deutsche Sprache ist eine schwere Sprache! (German language is a hard language)
    almost right, but in this context "das" is an article and as such only has one s. German is a hard language indeed

--

Also this sounds exciting. Let's hope this is for real
    Last edited by TripChoco; 04-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    How the f*** did this thread turn from "possibility of steam for linux" into "Championship of the world greatest German grammar nazis"??
    Well, I usually don't care about that grammar stuff at all. I just did post this (after some thinking if I should), because apparently Michael learns German. Therefor I thought it'd be valuable for him to have a correct sentence at least. Didn't want to go any further into this topic (err, what am I doing here ?), sorry for the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by TripChoco View Post
    almost right, but in this context "das" is an article and as such only has one s. German is a hard language indeed
    Epic.

We could actually delve much deeper into that here, starting with 'dass' and 'das' being pronounced the exact same way, which is quite possibly the biggest hurdle for non native speakers. Then, combined with them often being used in a confusingly similar position (where English uses 'that' for both, although 'that' for 'das' was considered at least when I was at school non standard for 'which', and I still frown on people using it like that), there's a lot of room for confusion, especially for native English speakers.

German language course 101

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    German language course 101

Haha, that fits it perfectly =P

German das/dass can't be more confusing than their/there/they're and similar constructs in english, but yeah even germans struggle with it sometimes (especially since we didn't learn the grammatic rules, we just learned it by speaking it -- so in a way non-natives have an advantage)

Der Faden entgleitet thematisch "leicht".
    Was soll Gabe bloss denken?

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Der Faden entgleitet thematisch "leicht".
    Was soll Gabe bloss denken?
    Ich denke nicht, dass Gabe hier im Forum liest. Wenn, dann nur Michaels Artikel.

Im Ernst? Sind Sie auf Jungs absichtlich versucht zu 10 Seiten mehr Faden der grammatischen Analyse und-Korrektur zu beschwören?