Thread: X.Org GSoC Is Indeed Dead, But There Is EVoC

Default X.Org GSoC Is Indeed Dead, But There Is EVoC

Phoronix: X.Org GSoC Is Indeed Dead, But There Is EVoC

As reported previously on Phoronix, X.Org/Mesa/Wayland is no longer involved with Google's Summer of Code. Some changes have also been made concerning the project's independent Endless Vacation of Code...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4MDM

The non-student paragraph is pretty weird "Yes, you can apply to work for free for a few months". It kinda misses on why would anyone do that.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    The non-student paragraph is pretty weird "Yes, you can apply to work for free for a few months". It kinda misses on why would anyone do that.
    Participating/working in a FOSS project might not have direct financial benefits BUT i think a dev with FOSS experience and proven skills won't have trouble getting a decent paying job even FOSS related.

Someone can see it as an investment or can do it just for fun. Programmers are lucky in a way because they can demonstrate their skills. You can't do that in any industry.

Sure, but you don't need to apply to evoc to contribute to X. Just send a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Sure, but you don't need to apply to evoc to contribute to X. Just send a patch.
    maybe some people are shy and need an "excuse" like evoc to contribute

i don't know if its common for people to just jump in on the mailing list and state "Hey can i help with something" and i don't think that i have seen something like "Tasks" in many project that someone can just hack on.

The EVOC program probably includes mentoring, in a more official capacity than you could get by just showing up on IRC while writing patches.

But yes, it seems a little strange.

Default Sad

I think it is very sad that X wasn't part of GSOC 2012.

We need work on XWayland and XRandR 1.4.