Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Adobe Issues Final Linux Flash Player Release

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    They've changed a lot of the "under the hood" options and hidden them more from the user (mainly the advanced options that disable most of Google "tracking" features)...
    Please provide examples or is this just the usual anti-Google FUD?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    206

    Default Yeah!

    Yeah - rest in peace flash!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Chrome and Chromium are similar: That's not true. Chrome uses a patent encumbered PDF-reader (they could use OS poppler, for instance) and OC, patented Flash plugin. It's better to inform yourselves better before state what you said before...

    Well, as an European citizen I'm concerned about how my data is treated and used outside EU. If Google guaranteed that my data was treated and used for services in EU/Portugal, I'd be much less concerned, but as Google treats your data outside EU (in the USA), I don't know how is it controlled; Sorry, but if you disagree, deal with it...

    Furthermore, when I can't search something in duckduckgo, I search it on Google (I'm not Google paranoid, my friends), but using tracking cookies that track your browser activity while you surf, for me is not ethical... There are better options...

    All in all, the main reason that made me switch from Chrome to Opera/Firefox was really the fact I had a Google Account and I disagreed with the ToS.... So now, I only use Google when I need...

    Cheers

    p.s.: That's my point of view. Fell free to agree/disagree with it...
    Last edited by evolution; 04-01-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: missing text

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Chrome and Chromium are similar: That's not true. Chrome uses a patent encumbered PDF-reader (they could use OS poppler, for instance)
    Wait what, patent-encumbered? Can you provide a link about that? Is "proprietary" the word you mean, that would make more sense.
    Also, it isn't part of the Chrome browser, it is a plugin. And as such it works perfectly with Chromium too.

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    and OC, patented Flash plugin.
    Again with the patented? What's patented about it? Beyond the stuff that's in the regular plugin too, that is, like the h264 decoder. It uses Pepper, which is an API on top of NaCl. That's it.
    Oh, and just like with the PDF reader, PepperFlash also works perfectly in Chromium.

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    It's better to inform yourselves better before state what you said before...
    It seems to me I'm better informed than you are, so you should follow your own advice here.

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    All in all, the main reason that made me switch from Chrome to Opera/Firefox was really the fact I had a Google Account and I disagreed with the ToS.... So now, I only use Google when I need...
    I can only repeat again, this makes no sense. The ToS is completely separate from the browser. You could've dropped the account but continued to use Chrome, from the tracking perspective the browser makes no difference.
    Last edited by Gusar; 04-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    Flash didn't need to thrive on Linux, the status quo we had was sufficient.

    You have a very simple view of the world.

    Linux is not Adobe's enemy and certainly not their main enemy. Neither the free Flash implementations nor Gimp are a real threat to Adobe products. When I read statements such as yours, I wonder if you ever had to pay your own rent or even had a real job. Adobe is just a company which tries to make money. Selling their products is the only way to make money, because support-based business models just don't work with the products Adobe offers. Noone would buy support for their creative suite.
    I was talking about Micro$oft not Adobe.

    As for your sideswipe about rent and jobs, well let's put it this way - I'm in my 50s with two ex-wives and two grown-up children, and I run my own business. You are right about there being a world of difference between our respective life experiences tho ...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordboy View Post
    I was talking about Micro$oft not Adobe.
    That doesn't really change anything.

    I'm in my 50s with two ex-wives and two grown-up children, ...
    Your blind hate towards Microsoft and the way you post, makes me doubt that. But I could not care less.

    ...and I run my own business.
    Then I certainly hope that you don't get your customers "tied and dependent like crack whores" and make them "pay through the nose for each new "advance"" of your product/service. Otherwise you would not be much better than the company you hate so much.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Linux doesn't play mp3 files unless you buy a licensed decoder or grab one illegally.
    Fluendo paid for an MP3 license and provides a GStreamer mp3 decoder for free (gratis), if you want.
    http://www.fluendo.com/press/fluendo...inux-and-unix/
    http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/...o-mp3-decoder/

    It's also packaged in Canonical's "partner" repository for Ubuntu.

    (And the source code is available too, but unfortunately the MP3 patent owners only want to license binaries.)

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    99

    Default To my new friend Temar

    Haha - maybe time to stop digging tho.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Poland, Warsaw
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    c) Maybe you should look at the SRWare Iron vs Chromium comparison before shouting at me in a public forum...
    SRWare Iron is a scam so good luck with using it because of privacy issues with Google Chrome.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    No. Despite Phoronix's vdpau and nvidia fanboiism it's not a good idea to update to 11.2 on a blob system: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177380
    So that's why YouTube videos are all blueish since I updated Ubuntu Precise on my EeePC 1015 yesterday. Sigh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •