Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icculus Grows Fond Of Open-Source GPU Drivers

Default Icculus Grows Fond Of Open-Source GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Icculus Grows Fond Of Open-Source GPU Drivers

Ryan "Icculus" Gordon, the famed Linux game developer, in the past has sharply criticized open-source Linux graphics drivers as not being mature and putting the Linux desktop into a dangerous position. In speaking to Ryan this weekend, his views on the open-source graphics drivers have changed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4MTQ

Seems like the FOSS video driver situation is at an exciting tipping point. "Good enough" to run Humble Bundle means more people running the stock FOSS driver and more motivation to contribute to it. Add to that a source engine game hopefully coming to Linux will translate to even more incentive to get the FOSS video drivers in great shape. Things are looking good.

Simply put, Ryan has reversed his views on open-source GPU drivers.
    FOSS drivers now better for sure. Thanks to AMD, now I can finally play Amnesia (almost high settings, only SSAO disabled).

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    FOSS drivers now better for sure. Thanks to AMD, now I can finally play Amnesia (almost high settings, only SSAO disabled).
    If you reread the article carefully, you will notice Gordon never mentioned AMD. I wonder myself why (no irony).

I'm amazed at how far the FOSS drivers have come as well. Just a few months ago I was happy to get around 24 fps in Oil Rush. I just played it today, and it's getting a solid 30fps (Radeon HD5770, 1920x1080, low settings).

I have about 55 indie games on Desura, and i'd say 90% of them run beautifully. It's true that most of them are not so graphically demanding, but it's still damn impressive compared to just last year. The fact that I don't have to install a buggy crashy graphics blob is icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    If you reread the article carefully, you will notice Gordon never mentioned AMD. I wonder myself why (no irony).
    I don't think he has anything against AMD. It's well known that he usually runs NVidia stuff with the proprietary driver, simply because his work demands him to have a stable full featured driver. I would guess that he just doesn't own any modern AMD hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    I don't think he has anything against AMD. It's well known that he usually runs NVidia stuff with the proprietary driver, simply because his work demands him to have a stable full featured driver. I would guess that he just doesn't own any modern AMD hardware.
    Im sure there is much more behind. But the only positive thing Id like to type is that I suggest AMD keeps up what it has promised with GCN and linux opensource. Especially because of GCN. But no hopes.

i installed the 3,4 kernel yesterday and it gives me a speed up

i can now play hon in my native resolution 1900x1200. without lag .

with kernel 3.3 i only can play at 1024x786

the downside is that Oil-rush now do have texture flickering

this means openGL2.1 is rockstable opengl3 is not ready yet

@Qaridarium
    I don't have any Oil Rush texture flickering or any other display problems with
    Code:
    GLX version: 1.4
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    launched from Desura using the 3.4 kernel on AMD Radeon HD6600M. I also used to get texture flickering with Oil Rush, but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    @Qaridarium
    I don't have any Oil Rush texture flickering or any other display problems with
    Code:
    GLX version: 1.4
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    launched from Desura using the 3.4 kernel on AMD Radeon HD6600M. I also used to get texture flickering with Oil Rush, but not anymore.
    your versions are outdated i use 3.0 mesa 8.1-devel (Git-bd2410b precise-oibad-ppa) i also force openGL3 in the rendering path with: R600_GLSL130=1 R600_STREAMOUT=0