Thread: Kubuntu Could Be Open To External Sponsors

Hybrid View

Default Kubuntu Could Be Open To External Sponsors

Phoronix: Kubuntu Could Be Open To External Sponsors

The Ubuntu Technical Board would not object if Kubuntu, the Ubuntu KDE derivative, were to be sponsored by some organization outside of Canonical...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4MjA

Just rename the distro Timelord already! :3

Default Quality is job one

It really is immaterial whether Kubuntu continues in the Canonical fold as far as the user is concerned. It is the superior quality of the UI that must be maintained, along with the extensive repositories of application software. Anything that does that would get my support. If Shuttleworth is on a campaign to further marginalize Canonical's products, well, so be it. Anyone want to buy a slightly used Ubuntu t-shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo Tribble View Post
    It really is immaterial whether Kubuntu continues in the Canonical fold as far as the user is concerned. It is the superior quality of the UI that must be maintained, along with the extensive repositories of application software. Anything that does that would get my support. If Shuttleworth is on a campaign to further marginalize Canonical's products, well, so be it. Anyone want to buy a slightly used Ubuntu t-shirt?
    I read some blog post at planet Ubuntu where it was said Canonical did with Kubuntu the same what they previously did with Gnome. It seems Canonical wants to have full control over its flagship product and this is something understandable. They can't control KDE or Gnome. As for Kubuntu it seems there didn't change a thing after Canonical's decision. There will be LTS releases and it's a very solid and community maintained (like Debian) distribution now.

I'm half amazed that Kubuntu had paid developers in the first place. Not to be harsh but I always found it to be one of my least favorite KDE distributions. I eventually settled with Arch Linux which has great KDE maintainers. I think the mountain of patches that Ubuntu/Kubuntu uses really makes the distribution suffer in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dalingrin View Post
    I'm half amazed that Kubuntu had paid developers in the first place. Not to be harsh but I always found it to be one of my least favorite KDE distributions. I eventually settled with Arch Linux which has great KDE maintainers. I think the mountain of patches that Ubuntu/Kubuntu uses really makes the distribution suffer in the end.
    Kubuntu and Arch are completely different distribution with completely different goals. I can't imagine how distribution that works out of the box can make users to suffer? Not everyone has time to play with Arch and do some modifications after upgrades from time to time.