Thread: An Experimental GNOME Shell Running On Wayland

Default An Experimental GNOME Shell Running On Wayland

Phoronix: An Experimental GNOME Shell Running On Wayland

On Wednesday of the 2012 LF Collaboration Summit, besides the X and Wayland integration talk, there was a second discussion concerning Wayland/Weston during a Tizen track. During this talk were a few tid-bits of interesting information revealed, such as an experimental GNOME 3.x desktop on Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4MzQ

that hardly recommends it

what i don't understand is that given shuttleworth's money can't he donate 20 mil to wayland development? ubuntu is as always doing jack on developing new technologies.

Too much talk but very little action.
    Wayland Mailing List

They are making even better progress than anticipated. This project requires collaboration from a wide variety of different groups, on a level that we don't see very often. Even if Wayland 1.0 comes out in perfect condition with a mature Weston reference compositor with X/Wayland support, it's entirely upon the shoulders of the DE projects to provide Wayland support. Considering the 6 month development cycle we see commonly these days, the progress has been astounding.

I think people underestimate just how unlikely it is that we've gotten everyone on board with this to the level they are. I mean, the situation is so ideal that we can even run Wayland on NVIDIA and AMD cards as well as Intel GPUs (using the open driver stack).

There is a ton of action by very dedicated, brilliant people doing a lot to decide on the right spot to stabilize the interfaces and give us a reliable start. Just as with any open source project, it's still up to the distributions to package it, no matter how hard the Wayland contributors work.