Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    How do you think polygraphs work?
    They don't. That's why they aren't allowed in the courts of nearly every country in the world.

M.O.R.E. definitely looks interesting, but I don't see any mention that any of the team has ever shipped a game before. Even a hobby or school project would be better than nothing. They also don't seem to be asking enough to seriously fund a reasonable amount of work on the game: $50,000 split among a team of 12 is only a little over $4,000 each for the entire game, which makes me wonder what the relevance of the Kickstarter project is to the game. It seems like it's primarily a marketing tool to generate/gauge interest.

How do you think polygraphs work?
    Primarily as an intimidating prop in what is actually a manipulative interrogation procedure rather than a genuine scientific test.

Thank you for your sharing

Chris Roberts (Wing Commander series) has a new project called Star Citizen. They started a Kickstarter campaign after their own fundraiser overloaded their servers. The FAQ says Windows only but they are considering Linux and Mac and claim to have enthusiasts for both on their team:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...arCitiBeAvaiOn

Hopefully they can be convinced to at least making Linux support a stretch goal.

Max Gaming is planning to create a mech game named "Dark Horizons: Mechanized Assault Vehicle", a sequel to "Dark Horizons: Lore" which I played a couple of years ago. Lore was a good mech game but it's not part of the BattleTech universe (MechWarrior). They have Linux/Mac support as a $30KUSD stretch goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ssault-vehicle

They had a previous campaign for "Dark Horizons: Aftermath" but it didn't receive enough pledges:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-the-mech-game
    Last edited by jhansonxi; 10-19-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Default Star Citizen (from the creator of Wing Commander)

I'm sure most have already heard of the Star Citizen fundraising campaign that Chris Roberts is pushing (of Wing Commander fame). He says they are investigating Linux (and Mac) support. Initially they were only funding through their own site, but now they also have a kickstarter project in addition as their servers couldn't handle the load.

The game is apparently going to be built on CryEngine which was rumoured to have an in-house Linux port back in April (Phoronix). Since they're easily contactable through their kickstarter project, I've sent them a note encouraging them to do a Linux port. I'd see it as a win to have a supported Linux port of CryEngine out in the wild The more game engines with Linux support the better.

On another note I was a little sad to see that BlackSpace didn't hit the funding target. I should have posted a link to it here as I don't recall it being mentioned earlier.
    (edit): just realised they never committed to a Linux port, just said "maybe after release, if it's successful enough" so that's probably why I never linked to it before
    Last edited by Kamikaze; 10-21-2012 at 05:00 AM.

And the scam gets canceled.
    How can you possibly substantiate that a Kickstarter project is a scam? Assuming you can, what specific "scam metrics" apply to this project? Just because you don't like a project, or the people running it, or their photogeniality, or how they're running the project, doesn't make it a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
    Just because you don't like a project, or the people running it, or their photogeniality, or how they're running the project, doesn't make it a scam.
    The onus is on them to prove they weren't a scam. In 15 days they raised 1/4 of their asking price and failed to sell out their least expensive option. Obviously, I am not the only one that felt they were not going to deliver on their promises.

Don't be a fanboy.

The onus is on them to prove they weren't a scam. In 15 days they raised 1/4 of their asking price and failed to sell out their least expensive option. Obviously, I am not the only one that felt they were not going to deliver on their promises.
    Many Kickstarter projects have the same problem meeting their target. There's no legal agreement that any project that does meet the target needs to produce anything (as stated by Kickstarter).

David Crane's Jungle Adventure failed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...le-adventure-0
    I suspect that most people compared the goal to the proposed product and decided that the development cost was too high for a platformer, not that it wouldn't be produced if funded.