Thread: AlJazeera explain the Pirate party worldwide.

Default AlJazeera explain the Pirate party worldwide.

That's a nice find (for a change..).

Q- nice find.
    Notice the PP speaker on skype was laughed at when he mentioned that as pirates they understand "game theory". It was a bit of an odd comment for a political leader. Not to mention the presenters "sink the pirate ship" and "eyepatch" comments that happened later which were just completely intended to poke fun.

I'm not sure about Europe but I don't see PP gaining much traction here in Australia. I hope it changes in the future, but at the moment, even their name here just won't be taken seriously.

When mainstream media quotes political parties here they usually just use single sentence soundbite quotes without any context and without any follow-up. If pirate party started trying to gain traction, they'd get destroyed on the media front, especially with Murdoch media controlling the major news limited entity - Pirate Party would be a direct threat to the Murdoch empire. I'd love for it to be a viable party that I could support, but honestly it just sounds too 'hard line' and not serious enough. If they'd chosen another party name even that would have been a good start :-/

(edited to make more of a point and less ramble... too much beer!).
    Last edited by Kamikaze; 04-13-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    Q- nice find.
    thank you very much

Rick the Founder (of Swedish Pirate Party) was evasive and didn't answer the question about where the party stands politically (in terms of definition/spectrum etc). This party is just a political movement, nothing else.

'If pirate party started trying to gain traction, they'd get destroyed on the media front, especially with Murdoch media controlling the major news limited entity..'

True. Then why are they so vague in every discussion? They should be talking about the mainstream media and being more specific.
    Last edited by Panix; 04-13-2012 at 04:40 PM.

These people seem to base their views largely on what they think should constitute property.

Of course the whole notion of property is an invention of mankind not a universal truth as some people like to think of it and if a society decides to acknowledge intellectual property along with more traditional forms that's fine. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with that.