Thread: Nouveau Gallium3D Kepler Is Already Here

Default Nouveau Gallium3D Kepler Is Already Here

Phoronix: Nouveau Gallium3D Kepler Is Already Here

Over three months passed between the time the Radeon HD 7970 launched and the time that initial Gallium3D support landed (yesterday). So how long is it going to take for a Gallium3D driver for NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" that launched just last month and has to be reverse-engineered by the community Nouveau members? Well, as of this afternoon, the Kepler Gallium3D driver is already available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4NzY

Can any early adopters of Kepler try building this code and let the community know if it is DOA or if it actually does something interesting, like boot X, start your compositing manager, play OpenArena, etc?

As a HD7970 buyer I'm feeling the envy/burn from this support coming so quickly, but I'm still hopeful that I should be able to start on the very basics with RadeonSI within a month or two. Too bad they had to basically start from scratch, though; there's a lot of hard work that went into r600g and we seem to have lost most of it.

Kudos to the Nouveau community, for strengthening the graphics support we now enjoy!

My outmost respect goes to all the developers of open-source graphics drviers, despite of a particular vendor. Thank you.

Default Testing

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Can any early adopters of Kepler try building this code and let the community know if it is DOA or if it actually does something interesting, like boot X, start your compositing manager, play OpenArena, etc?
    Yes, except for the firmware it's all in the usual place (git, master).

There was a time when I'd happily do that, but my time is now limited.

If you make me a LiveCD with everything prepared, I don't mind trying it out though -- just don't have the time for a full Linux install, compiling all that, etc.