Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock 3.0 Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,224

    Default GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock 3.0 Released

    Phoronix: GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock 3.0 Released

    GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock, the popular open-source OpenGL dock available for the Linux desktop, has reached its 3.0 milestone with some significant changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4ODE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    136

    Default Congratulations...

    You've cloned MacOS X toolbar.

    Maybe just spend the $29.95 and buy a copy of MacOS X instead?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoo View Post
    You've cloned MacOS X toolbar.

    Maybe just spend the $29.95 and buy a copy of MacOS X instead?
    Done and Done! Gonna drop another $2k when the 2012 iMacs are released.

    In all of my VMs (running ubuntu on fusion), I immediately install CCSM and Cairo dock. I then set the Unity launcher plugin to hide. Done. If I ever need to bring up the unity launcher, all I have to do is hit the apple key, not that I should ever have to. This leaves me with a nice dock and a global menu.

    F

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Clutter

    Wonder if perhaps the Clutter toolkit would be good for a dock?
    Any Clutter-powered docks out there?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    The configuration dialog does not follow HIG.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoo View Post
    You've cloned MacOS X toolbar.

    Maybe just spend the $29.95 and buy a copy of MacOS X instead?
    I would never pay for proprietary software.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    136

    Default

    ...but you'll spend your time re-implementing proprietary user interfaces!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoo View Post
    ...but you'll spend your time re-implementing proprietary user interfaces!
    A good design idea is still a good design idea even though it is implemented in proprietary code.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragas
    A good design idea is still a good design idea even though it is implemented in proprietary code.
    Damn straight.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    136

    Default

    The thing is this: I got into UNIX/Linux/*BSD/X Window back in the late Windows 3.11 days. So over the next few years I found many of cool new UIs spanning the range from TWM simplicity to OpenSTEP's comprehensiveness.

    Now, though, the greatest efforts and attention seem to go into duplicating the UI ideas of Microsoft and Apple. People are proud that they've duplicated things like this OS X knock-off start bar thingy.

    I think people should be more proud of coming up with new better UI ideas though, or just putting out experimental work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoo View Post
    The thing is this: I got into UNIX/Linux/*BSD/X Window back in the late Windows 3.11 days. So over the next few years I found many of cool new UIs spanning the range from TWM simplicity to OpenSTEP's comprehensiveness.

    Now, though, the greatest efforts and attention seem to go into duplicating the UI ideas of Microsoft and Apple. People are proud that they've duplicated things like this OS X knock-off start bar thingy.

    I think people should be more proud of coming up with new better UI ideas though, or just putting out experimental work.
    The OS X dock is not invented by Apple, it was probably inspired by Sun Microsystem's Project Looking Glass which had a dock and is much older.
    Unity is new-think, locally-integrated menus is new think, and GNOME 3 and KDE 4 has some new thinking. I've also seen other innovative original UIs on desktop environments of Linux and Unix such as hexagonal grids, pie menus, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •