Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Crazy Demo Showing The Ilixi Compositor In DirectFB 1.6

I always liked DirectFB a *lot*.

First their logo. It's a rainbow!

Then, it uses the framebuffer directly. I like that, obviously.

Then this. 1ghz pc, software rendered, and its more fluid than beos? omg :')

Default You forgot

> Then this. 1ghz pc, software rendered, and its more fluid than beos? omg :')

At the time I used BeOS, it was on 333MHz PC, and AFAIK video card provided very little HW acceleration, so I'm not surprised that a 1GHz PC does better!

@bountykiller: Thanks for the description.
    I'm not sure I understand your point about the difference between a "protocol" and "only a library": both have a library, and if you don't use the library in the correct way, it won't work, so each follow a protocol..

For me, the main difference is that DirectFB only work on top of unaccelerated API currently (the DirectFBGL link is broken), whereas Wayland will work both using shared memory between the client and the compositor (so using CPU rendering normally) or using a buffer in the GPU's memory (so potentially accelerated).
    Last edited by renox; 04-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.

For me, the main difference is that DirectFB only work on top of unaccelerated API currently
    DirectFB is accelerated by itself. It access directly to your video card and it does not rely on other library for that.