Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Tweaking KDE's KWin For Linux Gaming Performance

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,778

    Default Tweaking KDE's KWin For Linux Gaming Performance

    Phoronix: Tweaking KDE's KWin For Linux Gaming Performance

    After looking recently at the impact on performance and power consumption of various Linux desktop environments running under Ubuntu 12.04 (Unity, Unity 2D, GNOME Shell, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Openbox), there were requests by many Phoronix readers to look at the impact of KDE on 3D gaming. KDE's KWin compositing window manager offers several options that can be easily changed that have a direct result on the Linux system's performance for full-screen OpenGL games.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17269

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    interesting, i'm surprised suspended effects was generally slower than xrender. things like this really confuse me sometimes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    interesting, i'm surprised suspended effects was generally slower than xrender. things like this really confuse me sometimes.
    KWin with compositing disabled runs purely on CPU, in contrast to OpenGL 2 accelerated compositing. This is actually quite a burden for CPU, especially when drawing to a big display.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    KWin with compositing disabled runs purely on CPU, in contrast to OpenGL 2 accelerated compositing. This is actually quite a burden for CPU, especially when drawing to a big display.
    Right but so does xrender. Besides, other DEs such as XFCE and openbox aren't GPU accelerated (AFAIK) yet they perform very well.

    So, I guess this makes me wonder - how does KDE perform with openGL compositing enabled but with all special effects disabled?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Right but so does xrender. Besides, other DEs such as XFCE and openbox aren't GPU accelerated (AFAIK) yet they perform very well.

    So, I guess this makes me wonder - how does KDE perform with openGL compositing enabled but with all special effects disabled?
    I believe xrender is mixed CPU/GPU, so that's why it performs better. Also, only most primitive effects work in xrender - you can forget about all fancy stuff like blur.
    After recent remodelling of rendering in KWin, only "used" effects are actually rendered. Thanks to this, fulscreen applications actually run like there were no effects at all. Mind that more work is being done in order to deliver ever higher frame-rates in plasma desktop. As to why simple window managers are so light on CPU: they use only simplest of object to draw interfaces. If you take a look, you'll see that everything is built using rectangles and text. I'd love to use a hardware accelerated KDE window engine that uses such simple figures to draw interfaces. The combination would be killing all competition. I guess I'll have to write it myself someday.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    What does it matter is it uses CPU? When in fullscreen, the window manager is idle. It consumes 0% CPU. So why the different results?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    I believe xrender is mixed CPU/GPU, so that's why it performs better. Also, only most primitive effects work in xrender - you can forget about all fancy stuff like blur.
    After recent remodelling of rendering in KWin, only "used" effects are actually rendered. Thanks to this, fulscreen applications actually run like there were no effects at all. Mind that more work is being done in order to deliver ever higher frame-rates in plasma desktop. As to why simple window managers are so light on CPU: they use only simplest of object to draw interfaces. If you take a look, you'll see that everything is built using rectangles and text. I'd love to use a hardware accelerated KDE window engine that uses such simple figures to draw interfaces. The combination would be killing all competition. I guess I'll have to write it myself someday.
    I'm 90% sure xrender is CPU only - KDE defaults to xrender when the GPU isn't functioning properly. I'm almost positive I have got xrender to operate with no functioning drivers, but I may be mistaken, hence my confusion.

    I don't think KDE needs the simplified graphics because it isn't focused on performance, but your idea would propose a good new DE. Perhaps that's the route XFCE should take - XFCE claims to be lightweight (which it isn't) but instead maybe it could be the maximum performance DE. Being lightweight like LXDE isn't always the best thing, because it lacks things like hardware acceleration; being lightweight just means that a very crappy computer can handle it. XFCE isn't light enough to work on the really crappy hardware but lacks the features of heavier DEs, so maybe it could focus purely on making modern machines run as fast as possible.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •