Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
KDE's Oxygen handles high DPI impressively well. I have a 135 PPI (pixels per inch) netbook. It's only problem regarding the pixel destiny is Firefox's policy of forced 96 PPI, which makes web browsing a difficult task.
Hmm, well, I was thinking about XFCE there. Although on KDE, I don't seem to have any option other than 96 or 120 DPI, and that only for fonts, it doesn't seem to affect images... :\

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
I don't care about the blob for either company and I care even less about Wine, PlayOnLinux, Crossover or Cedega compatibility.

Try the PC only titles not the console ports like Mass Effect 3, if you max the graphics settings on titles like Metro2033, Aliens VS Predator, Hard Reset, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dirt 3, Crysis: Warhead, Mafia 2, Batman Arkam City, Total War: Shogun 2, STALKER: Call of Pripyat and the list goes on for Windows games that when maxed out on detail settings will barely break a 30 FPS average let alone the 60FPS the high end gamers demand on 1920x1080~2560x1600 no AA~4x AA if that on an HD4890, the guys playing these games refuse to compromise by lowering settings, hence why they are always buying the best they can get their hands on, some have 3-4 top end cards pushing a single monitor...
Exactly my point... This thread is about AMD dropping support for the binary blob, there is nothing about the OSS drivers here.

I wonder what you mean by maxed out settings... I could choke my card with ME3 if I forced 8x supersampling, no problem. The thing is that there is no need to, it looks fine as it is. So once again, while it's true that there are people who are upgrading like that, but it's the enthusiast market.