AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oliver View Post
    You could still freeze until the open source drivers do full hd nicely (shouldn't be too long is my guess

But yes, I also mentioned this earlier, hd 4000 support being cut is bad; hd 2000, 3000 support, meh.

Regarding the panel size and HD content, panel size doesn't matter, if your source is full hd, it still needs to be able to decode them, before it can be downscaled

and finally, AMD is still, way way way better then any other option. Yes they've dropped their proprietary support for relative old stuff, it's bad, but AMD is very very on the ball, when it is with their open source support AND! Yes! They do actually support it, code drops, source drops, doc drops, you name it, they do it and do it well.
    Well, no, they don't really "do it well". But they do try very hard with the extremely limited resources they have. But there's a difference between trying and succeeding. The open drivers work quite well on Evergreen and earlier for most things except for OpenCL and video decoding, but they're still pretty far behind in terms of equivalent support on NI and SI. NI is starting to come along a bit but SI is still at the stage of drawing basic triangles.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Sure, but if panel is HD, you doesn't need to get FullHD source (is there is a choice between 720p and 1080p).
      Well, of course you should get everything in both formats, in case you wanna watch it on two different devices

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver View Post
        Well, of course you should get everything in both formats, in case you wanna watch it on two different devices
        You not mentioned 3rd version for smartphone.
        Anyway, you get the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchristy View Post
          Just over a year ago, I bought an Acer "Netbook". And now YOU ARE DROPPING SUPPORT FOR IT??? Scratch one customer in future!
          Like I said before, it's not the first time AMD did this, and you chose to buy an AMD GPU anyway. If you're looking for someone to blame, start with the mirror, and cease writing whiny posts on Phoronix as if AMD execs are actually reading them.

Comment

• I want to be protected by laws - HYBRID SOURCE DRIVERS

If I buy a computer device i want it to work at every OS until it "dies" fully functional.

Of course AMD can kill the support for a branch of products, but then ...

Law must provide consumers defence, as PUBLISH THE CODE.

If there are patents inside, this patents are PAYED BY CONSUMERS indirectly buying the product

And there must be solutions to put that patented code - I think code must no be patented - as a blob independent module inside the driver making the driver modular.

A future driver with open source parts and close source parts, - hybrid drivers - can be a good solution.

I understand AMD's financial decission, but an hybrid driver solution letting blobs closed and a fully open source driver as alternative will be better than not ahving this patented techs taht boost our GPUs performances compared with open source algorimths.

This is a suggestion for every vendor, not only GPUs, SoCs mostly Android SoCs must have open source and hybrid source drivers and perhaps closed source drivers too.

Comment

• Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
              If I buy a computer device i want it to work at every OS until it "dies" fully functional.

Of course AMD can kill the support for a branch of products, but then ...
              [...]
              Wow, fully functional support for every OS So you probably don't want to buy Nvidia nor AMD/ATI cards.

And I assume AMD will still provide fully functional driver for their 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx Radeon series cards for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X until they are bankrupt or at least for the next 8+ years or so. I have no reason to have doubts in that.

Comment

• so what? just stay with any long term supported distro and you will be fine.

New xorg-server releases add shit and new kernels are pretty much boring for almost all users anyway. Even if you don't want to use something with a long-term support:
                in gentoo just mask everything past kernel 3.4... and xorg-server whatever.

Versionitis is a serious illness - don't succomb to it.

Comment

• I'm not too bothered about which driver but after the latest xorg/fglrx mess could anyone help me with KMS load detection with a DVI to HDMI cable using the radeon driver .... its a PITA!!!!

i should file i bug i know but i'm sure they know about it already...

Comment

• What do you mean by "load detection"? I used a similar setup in the past with my radeon HD 3650 and it worked well on the AMD side of things (except for sound). It was the crappy implementation of HDMI in the monitor that made me revert to VGA.

Comment

• Sheesh, what's with all the hate against AMD here? Like some previous posters mentioned, just stay with your Ubuntu LTS or RHEL distro's. And the free driver works very nicely. And I have an R600 card.

Comment

Working...
                      X