Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

This is even worse news for us older legacy card users, since now the community attention will surely focus on these newer cards. My best power management option on linux side is still Debian Lenny, and the best power management overall, Windows XP, feels a better system each day I spend with my work laptop's Windows 7. The 15-second startup is now closer to 15 minutes, of course not being the administrator makes the life more difficult so I don't know how well I could optimise Win7, but with Vista the recent "updates" made my computers so slow that I ditched it for good and use now only XP and Lenny. Too bad Windows 2000 doesn't equal XP in the power management (not a GPU driver problem since they use the same driver), since it really seems a lightweight OS nowadays.

maybe the amd management (one of them do have the name bridgman) chose this faster catalyst drop because of this news: "AMD Evergreen Gallium3D Officially Does GLSL 1.30 AMD R600/R700 Gallium3D Confirms GLSL 1.30"

maybe the opensource driver become the gold standard for latency support.

and ubuntu 12.04 gets 5 years of support this means the opensource driver do have 5 years time to "speed up" maybe the ubuntu users upgrade in 5 years to a pure opensource solution and they don't lose anything.

the r300 radeon driver prove this in 5 years the opensource community can do a lot of work for the r600 hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    maybe the amd management (one of them do have the name bridgman) chose this faster catalyst drop because of this news: "AMD Evergreen Gallium3D Officially Does GLSL 1.30 AMD R600/R700 Gallium3D Confirms GLSL 1.30
    Or maybe Bridgman has nothing to do with that kind of thing (as he's noted himself) and the decision was entirely made based on Windows side...

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Or maybe Bridgman has nothing to do with that kind of thing (as he's noted himself) and the decision was entirely made based on Windows side...
    "(as he's noted himself)" quote? source?
    in fact bridgman also vote against the AGP bus this means he really do such stuff.

"(as he's noted himself)" quote? source?
    in fact bridgman also vote against the AGP bus this means he really do such stuff.
    From here (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure it's a simple question, but I certainly can't give you an answer.

It seems highly unlikely, particularly since we do enable HDMI audio in the Linux Catalyst drivers, but if we were I wouldn't know about it anyways.
    In response to you in the immediately previous post:

does AMD get money from Microsoft or Hollywood to cripple the HDMI audio on linux?

Simple question I'm sure you can give me a answer.
    Q, before you start making crazy theories about how Bridgman has influence in the Catalyst team, please work a corporate job for a couple months. I don't care where; you could even work one in Germany and get the same feel. What's important is that you gain real-world experience of working in a large enterprise (preferably one that sells products all over the globe) and see just how much different teams are separated.

I work for a corporation, and I can tell you that there is no way in hell another team would come to me and ask me for my "vote" on some issue that is not directly part of my job description. The only information that bridgman gets about Catalyst is the same information that you or I could get -- the only difference is that he can occasionally catch someone from the Catalyst team in the hall, and ask them directly, instead of having to submit a support request and waiting a while to get an answer.

As far as Catalyst is concerned, think of bridgman as a well-informed end user. Nothing more. He is not part of their team, so he is not part of their decision-making process. End of story. This is how corporations work. All of them. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Q, before you start making crazy theories about how Bridgman has influence in the Catalyst team,
    he tells me in the past that he vote against any future AGP cards.
    this means because of his influence (not only his but he still is involved) there are no future AGP cards.
    he also write here in the past that he as a manager vote for spending the latency support money into the open-source driver instead of latency catalyst driver support like the latency catalyst in windows.
    for me this sounds to familiar to the situation right now.

please work a corporate job for a couple months. I don't care where; you could even work one in Germany and get the same feel. What's important is that you gain real-world experience of working in a large enterprise (preferably one that sells products all over the globe) and see just how much different teams are separated.
    "Developers" and "engineers" are separated only to turn there power "down"
    because for big company these people are just like cows in the slaughterhouse.
    but the Leading management are the perpetrators not the victims !
    Bridgman is a "Manager" means Perpetrator not a victim.

he is the one guiding the cow into the slaughterhouse.

the perpetrators (managers) communicate to make sure the cows go into the slaughterhouse faster!.
    there is no "separation" for the managers.

I work for a corporation,
    as a butcher (manager) or slaughter cattle (developer) ?

and I can tell you that there is no way in hell another team would come to me and ask me for my "vote" on some issue that is not directly part of my job description.
    this sounds like you are not in a management of any company!
    you are on the "slaughter cattle (developer)" side of life not on the butcher (manager) side.

i drive my own company and i would never ask a cattle about how to do the butchers job right.

oh great. Q. is in full throttle stupid mode again. People, time to close this thread and just ignore it out of existance.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    oh great. Q. is in full throttle stupid mode again. People, time to close this thread and just ignore it out of existance.
    I wonder, what he said just now...

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    Its interesting every time I do not write the same mainstream stuff like any other the people blame me to not write the same stuff like any others do.

If you are not interested in different viewpoints or to be more specific in my viewpoint why not just put me on your ignore list ?

Your writing do not have any argument to support your claim that Iím stupid "Q. is in full throttle stupid mode" but you are free to prove it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenochrome View Post
    that's really a bad news. the main problem is that there's no alternative : today it's impossible to make linux run on cards like radeon 9xxx (pre-HD) which are still technically completely capable.
    Current opensource drivers dont even allow youtube videos to run smooth on this kind of gfx card
    Since it's impossible to upgrade gpu in most notebooks, the linux user amount will only decrease
    Um, what are you smoking? All Radeon hardware works via the OSS drivers going back to the original Radeon launched in early 2000 http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100

Before MESA dropped the DRI1 class hardware drivers even the far older Rage series cards worked.