Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Default We need stability

Hello Linux kernel developers! Real companies with real products NEED stable APIs and ABIs. It allows them to apply the fire and forget strategy. On windows a driver that was written 10 years ago will continue to work reliably indefinitely. On Linux you need to maintain your past products in a perpetual manner. This costs loads of time and money. How hard is to understand simple facts?
    Last edited by zoomblab; 04-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.

AMD disappoints again.
    Can we at least get UVD specs for the dropped parts? If they are legacy, no issues now, right?

Because I tend to make my computers last, it seems that once again we confirm that it's a really bad idea to buy AMD graphics. Note taken.
    I was using a X1300 with flgrx when they dropped support. Guess what I'm still using now?

Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    Hello Linux kernel developers! Real companies with real products NEED stable APIs and ABIs. It allows them to apply the fire and forget strategy. On windows a driver that was written 10 years ago will continue to work indefinitely. On Linux you need to maintain your past products in a perpetual manner. This is costs loads of time and money. How hard is to understand simple facts?
    Hello regular troll! "real" companies need just to open their drivers, and community will maintain them. Simple & Free!

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Can we at least get UVD specs for the dropped parts? If they are legacy, no issues now, right?
    Huh? Why shouldn't it be?
    AFAIK, it's all about the DRM chain.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    Hello Linux kernel developers! Real companies with real products NEED stable APIs and ABIs. It allows them to apply the fire and forget strategy. On windows a driver that was written 10 years ago will continue to work reliably indefinitely. On Linux you need to maintain your past products in a perpetual manner. This costs loads of time and money. How hard is to understand simple facts?
    There are API's enough in the Linux kernel, only the AMD developers don't use them. Instead they go deeply into the kernel (where the API isn't as stable) to provide something proprietary that looks like Windows to be able to re-use as much as possible code in the W and L versions of Catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    There are API's enough in the Linux kernel, only the AMD developers don't use them. Instead they go deeply into the kernel (where the API isn't as stable) to provide something proprietary that looks like Windows to be able to re-use as much as possible code in the W and L versions of Catalyst.

The stable API for graphics is called the 'Direct Rendering Infrastructure Protocol'

It's the API that userland graphics applications can use to communicate with the Linux kernel DRM driver.

The Linux kernel has stable APIs and ABIs all over the place.

If ATI and Nvidia wants to create and use their own APIs, which is what they do with their proprietary drivers, it's up to them to maintain them. Nobody else can do it _BECAUSE_IT_IS_PROPRIETARY_.

Default Is Gnome Shell at least supported ?

Hi,

Sounds quite a bad news for me, I've just bought the most powerful AGP card I could find to upgrade my old computer : an Ati/AMD Radeon HD3000...
    I hope at least Gnome Shell is working right now, so I can use it for a couple of years !
    I don't care if they drop the Catalyst driver, but they need to put more manpower on the opensource side, let's hope...

Rémi.

Default Proprietary

This is why proprietary software sucks, and proprietary device drivers.

Now you are forced to upgrade and cash out more money and put your old hardware on the dump and contribute to e-waste.
    Or you're stuck with old opeating system and window system.

With open source software, the communtiy can continue maintain device drivers after the company have abadoned it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    There are API's enough in the Linux kernel, only the AMD developers don't use them.
    Wrong. The kernel doesn't have a stable internal interface. Drivers have to adapt to kernel changes. Only the interfaces to userspace are stable.

Fine by me, as long as they release power management documentation.