Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: MATE Desktop 1.2 Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,914

    Default MATE Desktop 1.2 Released

    Phoronix: MATE Desktop 1.2 Released

    The MATE Desktop, which is the fork of the GNOME2 package-set, just experienced its 1.2 stable release. Will this be a viable fork to allow GNOME 2.x to live on?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4ODI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Without upgrading to at least Gtk3 it's stuck with old app versions too, dead-end. I'd rather use Gnome3 as much as I hate it with up to date apps, rather than Gnome2 with outdated apps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    I love how most people threaten to go kde or xfce but in their minds know that their bluffing.
    kde- clusterfuck
    xfce- apps are too feature light.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    AFAIK, you could just install gtk3 on MATE and still use newer programs. I use KDE and I have GTK3 programs, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.


    Also, what is everyone's problem with KDE? KDE 4.3 and older were a complete utter mess, KDE 4.4 was the first release that was pretty good and didn't have many problems, and today I'd say my only complaint about KDE is how its a little too heavy (with all built-in features on). I'd really like to know what people's problems are with it as of its current release.

    As for GNOME 3, I haven't tried it and I have no intention in using it as my main DE on any of my computers, but from what I've seen, it has plenty of room for improvement but it seems nice - I like how "new" and refreshing it is. It has its own personality in a way.

    As for XFCE, I admit I haven't tried it in over a year but to me, that whole project is a failure. It strives to be lightweight but instead its just as resource consuming as MATE but lacks features.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    I love how most people threaten to go kde or xfce but in their minds know that their bluffing.
    kde- clusterfuck
    xfce- apps are too feature light.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    As for XFCE, I admit I haven't tried it in over a year but to me, that whole project is a failure. It strives to be lightweight but instead its just as resource consuming as MATE but lacks features.
    Exactly, just another wasted effort, it's more useful to everyone to just make Mate/Gnome2 faster then to do a crappy rewrite with half the functionality and no real performance gain.

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Also, what is everyone's problem with KDE? KDE 4.3 and older were a complete utter mess, KDE 4.4 was the first release that was pretty good and didn't have many problems, and today I'd say my only complaint about KDE is how its a little too heavy (with all built-in features on). I'd really like to know what people's problems are with it as of its current release.
    KDE has always been a clusterfuck and it has the most asinine naming convention ever conceived.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    KDE has always been a clusterfuck and it has the most asinine naming convention ever conceived.
    Mind explaining your definition of "clusterfuck"? Because to me, that's like saying "this is bad" and leaving it at that, which isn't a reason. I can see why some people wouldn't like the naming scheme of it but what is nice is it lets you know what is part of the KDE suite and what isn't. Besides, do you have a better name for many of the things? For example, kolourpaint. What else are you gonna call it? Colourpaint is just plain boring and you can't call it "Paint" due to confusion with mspaint. GNOME has a similar naming scheme that start with G or GN.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I hate KDE looks Gnome atleast looks elegant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    I hate KDE looks Gnome atleast looks elegant.
    I dare to say that again. KDE can be tweaked to look like Gnome (be it classic or GShell). Overall it's a better desktop environment.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    313

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Mind explaining your definition of "clusterfuck"? Because to me, that's like saying "this is bad" and leaving it at that, which isn't a reason. I can see why some people wouldn't like the naming scheme of it but what is nice is it lets you know what is part of the KDE suite and what isn't. Besides, do you have a better name for many of the things? For example, kolourpaint. What else are you gonna call it? Colourpaint is just plain boring and you can't call it "Paint" due to confusion with mspaint. GNOME has a similar naming scheme that start with G or GN.
    How about KDE Paint?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    As for XFCE, I admit I haven't tried it in over a year but to me, that whole project is a failure. It strives to be lightweight but instead its just as resource consuming as MATE but lacks features.
    When your computer is fast enough, you may not notice the difference between gnome2/MATE and XFCE. XFCE is now 4.8 and they have done very well to keep their DE light and useful. xfdesktop and thunar in particular open much faster than nautilus. Also, XFCE have build in a compositor and can handle desktop switching etc. It includes not many features, but just enough common ones so that I do not need to install compiz.

    As you are using KDE, XFCE is definitely not for you. KDE is full of features.
    But I guess for Linus and others that like XFCE, simpliness itself is a feature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •