Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    I wish they (AMD) read this.
    I did read it but AFAIK it's kind of confusing. The corresponding AMD part (Trinity) also has pre-launch support.

SI is a different animal -- we've been pretty clear that the discrete GPU generation *after* SI would be the first with launch time support.
    Last edited by bridgman; 02 May 2012, 08:56 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      The only things I miss are OpenGL 3.0 (which only appears to be available for Sandy Bridge right now, at least on Fedora 17 Beta)
      To have OpenGL 3.0, it is necessary to build Mesa with --enable-texture-float (to enable floating-point textures, which are not enabled by default due to non-clear patent situation), and also to have a Xserver which supports GLX_ARB_create_context extension (which is only available in master for now as far as I can say).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I did read it but AFAIK it's kind of confusing. The corresponding AMD part (Trinity) also has pre-launch support.

SI is a different animal -- we've been pretty clear that the discrete GPU generation *after* SI would be the first with launch time support.
        Glad to hear that. Yep, pre-launch support. But does it have stability/maturity/performance over intel driver? As others said, for now, intel driver still the best for out of the box experience. For me too. Just purchase Asus A43E, all intel. Installed arch + kde and the experience is.. just wow. Can play DoTA via Wine smoothly. Kinda surprised.

I really hope AMD can make their driver quality better, soon. Very soon.
        Last edited by t.s.; 02 May 2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I just hope AMD doesn't have to increase their prices too much in order to get better driver support. That's why I still buy AMD: I can afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
            To have OpenGL 3.0, it is necessary to build Mesa with --enable-texture-float (to enable floating-point textures, which are not enabled by default due to non-clear patent situation), and also to have a Xserver which supports GLX_ARB_create_context extension (which is only available in master for now as far as I can say).
            Technically you don't even need an X server with GLX_ARB_create_context. All you really need is to build Mesa with --enable-texture-float (which may be subject to patents).
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              I just hope AMD doesn't have to increase their prices too much in order to get better driver support. That's why I still buy AMD: I can afford them.
              Can 'afford' their performance on linux too?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

"Support" is a very relative term, as I'm sure you're aware. I think that is the point "t.s." is trying to make as well. I'm typing this on an Ivy Bridge machine on a processor/IGP that has been for sale in U.S. consumer distribution channels for about 1 week. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with a completely stock (albeit updated from the Ubuntu stable updates repos) driver stack and kernel.

I have:
                • Decent power saving features
                • Full DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI support, with up to 3 monitors (tested a DVI, a DP and an HDMI, and all 3 are working simultaneously)
                • OpenGL 2.1 performance that beats out the performance of r600g on Evergreen (HD5970), a card that's more than two years old and whose raw processing power is probably an order of magnitude greater than the Ivy Bridge IGP
                • Hardware video decoding, which isn't supported at all on any AMD chips (although I'm aware of your efforts along these lines for AMD)
                • Smooth-as-silk 2D acceleration
                • No immediately-obvious bugs or performance problems after running 6 different OpenGL 2.1 applications, not including my compositing manager and anything within my browser that may use hardware acceleration features (Flash? Chrome/Firefox themselves?)

Again, I have to emphasize, this is week 1 of the hardware launch, and I didn't compile a single line of code from git. And I have more features and at least as good performance than a 2+ year old AMD discrete ASIC has (comparing open source drivers to open source drivers, not fglrx). The 7970 in my box is a paperweight for now.

Like I said, setting a goal for your team to achieve this (what I stated above in my bulleted list) for HD8000 is what would restore my faith in AMD's open source graphics initiative. Failing that, I will probably not purchase another AMD product going forward, nor will I evangelize for AMD to the many people who come to me asking for advice on computer upgrades. Just throwing that out there, take it for what you will.
                Last edited by allquixotic; 02 May 2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  Can 'afford' their performance on linux too?
                  Considering I use Gentoo: Of course. And I'm not talking about just graphics here. An APU is not just a graphic card.

Comment

..[thorough expalantion]...
                    Yep, exactly!

Like I said, setting a goal for your team to achieve this (what I stated above in my bulleted list) for HD8000 is what would restore my faith in AMD's open source graphics initiative. Failing that, I will probably not purchase another AMD product going forward, nor will I evangelize for AMD to the many people who come to me asking for advice on computer upgrades. Just throwing that out there, take it for what you will.
                    Count me in. Until now, 'cause of AMD effort in open source graphics drivers, whenever people ask me what graphic card to buy, I'll recommend AMD card. But, if say, one year from now and their open source quality is just a bit better, I'll jump to other ship. I don't have all the time in the world (can't wait forever) just for AMD..

Look, we are CHEERING for you, AMD, but you often dissapointing us rather than not.

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                    Considering I use Gentoo: Of course. And I'm not talking about just graphics here. An APU is not just a graphic card.
                    Ah, power user then. But say, someday you might met the urgency to install linux quickly, and Gentoo can't cut it. And the distro you rely on is not that up-to-date comparing to Gentoo, result in outdated driver for your GPU with their limitation. Then what to do? And how long you'll wait until they (AMD) perfecting their driver?

Looking back, we don't have much choices for GPU with open source driver in linux land. But now, Intel's increasing their pace, and we have HD4000, good enough for light gaming/3D/etc. Plus their driver is very good comparing to the rest. Like @allquixotic said, it comparable to #1 AMD card from 2 year ago, in open source area. When haswell is out, well, let's see what will happen then.

Comment

Some of you are totally wrong about Ivi-bridge GPU. The open source driver gives an equal performance with a 500gflops Radeon with Catalyst, but that is not all. You can overclock IvyGPU almost twice 650mhz to 1250mhz, that is not possible with AMD and Nvidia mobile products because they are drain 50watts when IvyGPU drains 5-10watts, so you may have an open source Teraflop. Also Intel gives the same GPU for Celleron and Pentium to, and farther more gives CPU cores for GPU acceleration as ARM and CELL does, that is at least +200-300macGflops for every IvyCore@3ghz. SandyGPU is 2-2,5 times slower. The actual SandyGPU and IvyGPU is an Imagination PowerVR mp6-mp16 (tile graphics) based on ARMmp-Core, that is the company with OpenRL and with many ARM design. An Ivy SlimLaptop usually Celleron or Pentium probably starts from 350box at least in my country and a PicoUnit from 200box or less, so I will not buy another Nvidia or AMD GPU from now on.

Comment

Working...
                      X