Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
    That would be understandable - would have been for it to be mentioned in the article though.
    @Michael Larabel- if you're reading the comments - could you confirm if this was the case?
    No NDAs were needed this week, but I agreed to basically not expose all of their Linux plans or expected release targets [well I did mention don't be surprised if you see something in beta before my 'annual pilgrimage'], so yes the article is intentionally very vague. When the time is right for them, I will share more information.

I'm also back out there on Friday, but probably won't have an article out of that.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by anbog View Post
      I'm pretty sure that the credit card information is stored on their server with your account - not on your local system with the client. If I remember correctly, letting Steam save your credit card details in the client and then using the store through any web browser, you don't need to re-enter the card info.
      Even if it WAS stored in the client, the entire premise is flawed. It's no different that using a web browser which may allow you to save details on the client side, and I don't think anyone here is advocating that we should all be using proprietary browsers for security.

Are they?

Comment

• One possibility of more linux support

without a full Steam console:

Maybe they are planning to release a Valve distribution?

They could market it as turning any PC into a Steam console without having to sell the hardware side of things. Maybe even extend that into retail pre-loaded on OEM hardware as a SteamBox if it was successful enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          without a full Steam console:

Maybe they are planning to release a Valve distribution?

They could market it as turning any PC into a Steam console without having to sell the hardware side of things. Maybe even extend that into retail pre-loaded on OEM hardware as a SteamBox if it was successful enough.
          I doubt this, unless the distribution is solely targeted to run Steam and the games.
          Otherwise, they need to create a full-fledged Linux distribution, including packaging system, configuration tools and the like.
          In other words, this means Valve needs to create, maintain and support a full distro... Doesn't sound like an option to me.
          Most likely, they would choose to collaborate with one of the bigger distributions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No NDAs were needed this week, but I agreed to basically not expose all of their Linux plans or expected release targets [well I did mention don't be surprised if you see something in beta before my 'annual pilgrimage'], so yes the article is intentionally very vague. When the time is right for them, I will share more information.

I'm also back out there on Friday, but probably won't have an article out of that.
            If theres no NDA then give us something more solid then the crap you've been expounding for 4 years, till then the best outcome that theres any evidence for is they never produce a Linux client and Valve throws you under a bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by talvik View Post
              These are such good news and Michael Larabel is actively helping deliver the Linux Steam client.
              Why are people whining so much(specially slashdotters)? Not only this but every single f****ing article and benchmark. No matter how throughout and extensive the benchmarks are, there's some compiler flag(or whatever) that wasn't tested that makes the benchmark totally void.
              No, it's always the same things he never tests because he only tests the default/low power mode state of the OSS drivers. Who said anything about Slashdot?

Originally posted by talvik View Post
              Not interested in Linux games speculation? Skip it!
              Pretty hard to miss something on almost EVERY FUCKING ARTICLE FOR 4 YEARS NO MATTER HOW UNRELATED TO STEAM...

Comment

• His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states and because he's curious about my opinions of this latest Microsoft operating system.
                It's just crap from 90's, but with messed up interface. Thankfully there are few desktop environment on Linux we can choose from. Excellent news btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I doubt this, unless the distribution is solely targeted to run Steam and the games.
                  Otherwise, they need to create a full-fledged Linux distribution, including packaging system, configuration tools and the like.
                  In other words, this means Valve needs to create, maintain and support a full distro... Doesn't sound like an option to me.
                  Most likely, they would choose to collaborate with one of the bigger distributions.
                  They could maybe do something like XBMC does with their "XBMC Live" distribution. Which I guess is now less fluidly termed XBMCbuntu.

Comment

• @Michael Larabel

This could have been one of the biggest Linux news in a long time, but you messed up Michael/Phoronix. You should have kept quiet 2 years ago, and dropped the bomb now that you have some concrete news. Instead you went after the quick buck and recognition, and now Phoronix / the "news" is a joke in many eyes (seriously). You made this site loose a lot of credibility, and even this story smells fishy no matter how true it is. Looks like you need to read this:

I am of course happy to eventually (maybe..) play Source Engine games natively on my preferred platform, but what should have been celebrated all over the Penguin Kingdom is now a big "Meh". Thanks a lot.

Last thing. I am very aware that you will ignore this post, but at the chance that you will take one thing away from this:
                    Please think about your headlines!!
                    Maybe Gabe Newell talked to you, but nowhere in the article is this evident! Not one single quote. That makes your headline (another) lie. Do yourself a favor and put up an interview with Mr. Newell, please.

Comment

• I'm struggling to see the importance of Steam coming to Linux; it is Digital Rights Management after all; and I thought the whole philosophy behind Linux was against DRM.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not flaming Steam. It does have some good points. However the bad points still need to be addressed.

* The games you buy have no resale value. You cannot sell your games as second hand. DRM
                      * Physical media STILL require Steam. This essentially forces Bricks and Mortar stores to advertise a competitor.
                      * Poor Internet connection. Many people have issues with their Internet connections or don't have one at all. The usual response from the Steam community is "Get better Internet." Quite insulting really.
                      * Spending money on an "Error Message". This does happen, and the official word is "No Refunds". To get support in this matter is a headache, and I only know of one person who has succeeded. He stated that surely you (Steam) know I paid for game X and know game X didn't download...
                      * Servers down... I know the idea is to be able to play whenever and wherever you want. Doesn't always work does it.
                      * Auto updates. Breaks something; wait for next update. Can't play single player games until game is updated. Yes I know you can turn updates off and Offline mode. Still a PITA.

At least with Frictional Games, Unigine and Humble I can download for all my platforms, don't need to login to anything to play, and can re download if I need to (cloud storage)

Comment

Working...
                      X