Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 198 of 198

Thread: Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

  1. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Well, that's enough confirmation I need. Not that I'm claiming they will necessarily be a success....

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    So is Steam out yet?

    I just checked the Ubuntu Software Center and it's not there.
    Maybe you should check again in the next few months. Or years.

  3. #193
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Maybe you should check again in the next few months. Or years.
    Or even more than that. It took Valve from 1998 to late 2007 to release TF2. Even if Valve truly intends to come to Linux, that company does not do anything fast... and I'm assuming that their intentions to come to Linux are a recent-ish thing, because that executive for Valve last year said they have "no plans" to bring Steam or Source to Linux.

    I'm thinking the 2018 - 2024 timeframe is realistic. Of course, they may change their minds and decide not to come to Linux after all by then; a lot can change in the market in 6 to 12 years. And they'll probably have a completely new, redesigned engine by then, one that was yet again designed specifically for Windows, and they'll have to start over porting it from scratch. I'm not making this shit up; this company is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. We're talking, like, Duke: Nuclear Bomb Them Forever slow.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 05-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.

  4. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Or even more than that. It took Valve from 1998 to late 2007 to release TF2. Even if Valve truly intends to come to Linux, that company does not do anything fast... and I'm assuming that their intentions to come to Linux are a recent-ish thing, because that executive for Valve last year said they have "no plans" to bring Steam or Source to Linux.
    What the Valve executive (Doug Lombardi) said was this: "There's no Linux version that we're working on right now." (Emphasis mine.) What you attributed to Mr. Lombardi was NOT what he said. What he said would've been the same sort of non-commital answer I would've gave had I been in his position (And I have...just not in the game industry...).

    Keep reminding yourselves this... :-D

  5. #195
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Nice to see you posting Svartalf, what have you been up to?

  6. #196
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Nice to see you posting Svartalf, what have you been up to?
    Heh... Mostly decidely un-fun things. Trying to put the wraps on what ended up being a nasty divorce that lasted over a year in length- the silence was mostly on lawyer's orders. :-D

  7. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    No Steam for Linux yet.

    Fuck off Michael!
    What? You think they're just going to roll this out on YOUR say-so? I've known for a a bit now that there was a behind-the-scenes effort there at Valve. Was it ready or were they ready to make the plunge? No. Are they ready now? Possibly- but it'll be on THEIR timetable, not ours.

    Remind yourself of that.

  8. #198
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... Mostly decidely un-fun things. Trying to put the wraps on what ended up being a nasty divorce that lasted over a year in length- the silence was mostly on lawyer's orders. :-D
    ouch, sorry to hear that!

    Any ideas about your future projects?

    @asdx: your comment is totally useless and meaningless (most of your post are like that one, why bother posting?). you could stick to commenting on the EA announcement instead of Valve...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •