Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: First Signs Of Wayland Running On Android

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,098

    Default First Signs Of Wayland Running On Android

    Phoronix: First Signs Of Wayland Running On Android

    A developer for Collabora has been bringing Wayland and the reference Weston compositor to Google's Android mobile Linux platform...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5MzA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    "Google has been... ensuring that the Chrome/Chromium web-browser will be well-supported natively on Wayland."

    By completely removing all Wayland support on 2012-04-07?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    What's the objective of running wayland on something that once ran Android?
    I.e., what you end up with here is....
    hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> wayland --> ??? --> acid trip --> profit
    instead of...
    hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> android

    Note: It is no longer Android once you replace Android with wayland....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    what a psychedelic test. these guy only want to do hypnosis on me LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    pekka i have a question (since i know you participate here from time to time)


    is this work purely a collabora project or they have been contracted by someone else to do that???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    What's the objective of running wayland on something that once ran Android?
    I.e., what you end up with here is....
    hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> wayland --> ??? --> acid trip --> profit
    instead of...
    hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> android

    Note: It is no longer Android once you replace Android with wayland....
    It makes it possible to test wayland-apps on android right now? That's useful if we eventually get a more direct wayland path on android (or plain linux on the same hardware), since it means we'll have slightly better-tested software available. It also makes it possible to run wayland apps on top of android, if you should want that (sort of like why you might want an X server in MacOS X).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnebdal View Post
    It makes it possible to test wayland-apps on android right now? That's useful if we eventually get a more direct wayland path on android (or plain linux on the same hardware), since it means we'll have slightly better-tested software available. It also makes it possible to run wayland apps on top of android, if you should want that (sort of like why you might want an X server in MacOS X).
    I'm not really sure how it's possible to get a more direct than Weston drawing directly to the framebuffer as it does now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Note: It is no longer Android once you replace Android with wayland....
    That sounds about equivalent to you reading "First Signs Of Wayland Running On Linux" and saying "It's no longer Linux once you replace Linux with wayland."

    Doesn't make any sense.

    He didn't replace Android with Wayland. He replaced Android's UI with Wayland, much like Wayland is being made to work in place of X on Linux. And similarly, I'd guess the plan is to make Android's UI work through Wayland as X works through Wayland. Or maybe modify Android to do all its output directly through Wayland.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darxus View Post
    That sounds about equivalent to you reading "First Signs Of Wayland Running On Linux" and saying "It's no longer Linux once you replace Linux with wayland."

    Doesn't make any sense.

    He didn't replace Android with Wayland. He replaced Android's UI with Wayland, much like Wayland is being made to work in place of X on Linux. And similarly, I'd guess the plan is to make Android's UI work through Wayland as X works through Wayland. Or maybe modify Android to do all its output directly through Wayland.
    If you understood Android, you would understand why you are incorrect. Basically, there is a kernel and a few basic utilities, everything above that is Android. As pq__ stated, because of the dependencies, once you change out Android's "UI", all that's left is Linux and a few utilities. Android is gone.

    It is still, however, Linux....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    If you understood Android, you would understand why you are incorrect. Basically, there is a kernel and a few basic utilities, everything above that is Android. As pq__ stated, because of the dependencies, once you change out Android's "UI", all that's left is Linux and a few utilities. Android is gone.

    It is still, however, Linux....
    From a user perspective, Android is gone, yes. But there is still some serious infrastructure left: the build tools and toolchains, installing and debugging tools (adb etc.), HALs, bootloaders(?), and hardware "support" that is not in upstream Linux and might never be. In my opinion, calling that "Linux and a few utilities" is an understatement. But that is a developer's point of view.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •