Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

OK Michael, you made me laugh.

But I still like to think of Deus Ex-esque conspiracies in the software world.

Ballmer has to have a strategy for "embracing and extending" (or extinguishing) Linux. It's absolutely certain that a company that rich with that strong of a stance against free software has to be actively coming up with some subversive, probably illegal plan to get rid of the competition so they can retain market dominance. Or, if they don't want to get rid of it, they'll end up profiting from it somehow. What they're not doing is sitting idly by, watching Linux slowly erode their market share on the desktop and mobile fronts, and utterly own them on the server front.

Is Valve a part of Ballmer's grand plan? I have no idea, and I don't even want to speculate. But I do know that we shouldn't take the free desktop for granted, because people are working around the world to try and put a stop to it, or otherwise monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
    I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.
    these words are only codewords for bigger linux stuff you know like the "dirndl" benchmarks!

Default What an outfit!

Extrange shoes you have.

Are comfortable?

Fedora? OSS drivers? That doesn't sound like a viable console at all... So perhaps it's not a console?

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Ballmer has to have a strategy for "embracing and extending" (or extinguishing) Linux. It's absolutely certain that a company that rich with that strong of a stance against free software has to be actively coming up with some subversive, probably illegal plan to get rid of the competition so they can retain market dominance. Or, if they don't want to get rid of it, they'll end up profiting from it somehow. What they're not doing is sitting idly by, watching Linux slowly erode their market share on the desktop and mobile fronts, and utterly own them on the server front.
    Eh, MS is too busy to bother with that. They have more important things to do, such as, oh, shooting themselves in the foot.

Microsoft is most certainly still undercutting free software and open standards whenever it can.

Is Valve a part of Ballmer's grand plan? I have no idea, and I don't even want to speculate. But I do know that we shouldn't take the free desktop for granted, because people are working around the world to try and put a stop to it, or otherwise monetize it.
    They already came up with Secure Boot. That's their plan.

what sandy8925 said is probably right, but note that unless someone goes and murders linus torvalds, linux isn't going anywhere. even if linus were killed, i'm sure he's got someone to replace him for future kernel updates, so him dying would just simply slow down production. microsoft can't single-handedly take down linux because nobody owns it. all they can do is discourage others from using it, such as the Secure Boot thing and it wouldn't surprise me if someone finds a hack around that within a few months after win8 is released.

anyways back to the topic, i think its great valve is giving all this linux attention but its not like this is revolutionary. its POTENTIALLY revolutionary but it isn't yet. i'm excited for this but i wouldn't be very disappointed if it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    what uid313 said.
    This isn't a hard news site, lighten ip and or skip the articals you doun't like

Quote Originally Posted by sandy8925 View Post
    They already came up with Secure Boot. That's their plan.
    somebody could easily(-ish) come up with a coreboot enabled pc or create a company that will compete in the high end pc sector using linux but i don't think anyone wants to invest in something like that sadly.

Dear Michael, you are a disgrace to Bavarian culture, or rather what's left of it. Wearing Tracht on the Oktoberfest or elsewhere as a wanna-be-Bavarian is somewhat like smearing clown's paint in your face. It's a ludicrous pseudo-folklore carnival. You certainly don't have the right habitus to fill your Lederhose. And for these shoes alone you need to be smacked. Actually, you remind me of Chevy Chase in "European Vacation".

All of you, do us a favor: don't visit the Oktoberfest in a carnival costume. Even better: don't visit the Oktoberfest at all! No real Munich people do these days. Look for a nice beer garden, visit Kloster Andechs, whatever. Everything these days is better than the Oktoberfest. Hell, even the famous (or infamous) Hofbräuhaus is a better representation of Bavarian culture today (and its beer garden is still, curiously, an insider tip). Munich certainly has a Biergartenkultur. But the Oktoberfest is not culture. It's a freak show. If you wanna drink yourself into oblivion you can go to Aldi and buy 10 or so six packs. After a few bottles it doesn't matter if the beer is good or not. Cheap beer can do the job just fine. And you don't need to stand on a beer bench, singing "Anton aus Tirol". And whoever pays 9 Euros for one Maß and some 10 Euros for half a chicken is certifiable insane.