Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

Hybrid View

Default Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

Phoronix: Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

The Xfce project on Saturday afternoon released Xfce 4.10 as the first major Xfce desktop feature release in about sixteen months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5Mzc

damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.
    Crap, I follow both git repos, and LXDE doesn't get a meaningful commit (with meaningful I mean anything but translations) in months, while several subprojects of XFCE get them in a daily basis.
    How many new features did LXDE commited last year? The only one I can think of is getting back the tree view in PCManFM.
    Also, LXDE didn't achieve even their first stable release.
    I love both projects for different reasons, though.
    I admit Thunar is pretty basic, I don't use it because of the lack of tabs, for example, and use PCManFM instead.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Congrats for the release.

Have their ported Xfce to GTK+ 3 yet?
    Yes they did it in 4.10.

Quote Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
    Yes they did it in 4.10.
    No, that's happening in 4.12... I think.

they have support for gtk3 now iirc.
    the themes and the gtk-xfce4-enginge have been ported, but i think that the xfce applications are still useing gtk2.

XFCE gets more and more awesome. In contrast to the gnome team they actually respect wishes from their users. Seen long term I think XFCE has the potential to get most gnome users to switch.

I really hope they fixed thunar. It displays "eject buttons" for all volumes and it also shows them on the desktop even if they are not mounted. It's really annoying. There's a bug submitted for this since 2010. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    they have support for gtk3 now iirc.
    the themes and the gtk-xfce4-enginge have been ported, but i think that the xfce applications are still useing gtk2.
    So? The KDE dudes also have GTK2 and GTK3 versions of their Oxygen widget themes. The question was, however, if Xfce was ported to GTK3 and the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by mlux View Post
    XFCE gets more and more awesome. In contrast to the gnome team they actually respect wishes from their users. Seen long term I think XFCE has the potential to get most gnome users to switch.
    No GNOME user with half a brain would ever switch to an environment that never ever has bugfix releases. Roughly once a year there is a feature release and in between not a single bugfix is released to its users whereas in GNOME and KDE land users get monthly bugfix releases until six months later a new feature release is made (in contrast to Xfces 18 months).
    And why would a happy GNOME 2 user switch to a DE that after years is still playing catchup with GNOME 2? Xfce 4.0 was released in 2003 and moved from a CDE clone to a GNOME 2 clone. Cinnamon manages to do new releases way quicker. I expect GNOME 2 fans to either adapt to GNOME 3 switch to Cinnamon, Unity or Plasma Desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    No GNOME user with half a brain would ever switch to an environment that never ever has bugfix releases. Roughly once a year there is a feature release and in between not a single bugfix is released to its users whereas in GNOME and KDE land users get monthly bugfix releases until six months later a new feature release is made (in contrast to Xfce’s 18 months).
    And why would a happy GNOME 2 user switch to a DE that after years is still playing catchup with GNOME 2? Xfce 4.0 was released in 2003 and moved from a CDE clone to a GNOME 2 clone. Cinnamon manages to do new releases way quicker. I expect GNOME 2 fans to either adapt to GNOME 3 switch to Cinnamon, Unity or Plasma Desktop.
    Just to inform: Xfce has a different release model then KDE and GNOME (and probably any other desktops). Because the development team is small (3 active developers), we decided that making stable release consumes too much time. So instead we make 1 stable release each year (time permitting, so 4.10 was ~4 months late), containing libxfce4uti-4.10.0, thunar-1.4.0 etcetc..
    After that we only make stable releases of individual packages: so the latest Xfce 4.8 versions are xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0 (same as in the 4.8 bulk release), xfce4-panel-4.8.6 (6 stable releases after 4.8.0 which was in the 4.8 release), xfce4-settings-4.8.3 (3 releases after 4.8) etcetc.

The single stable release consumes 10 minutes, a full stable release almost a day. I think the the last year Xfce made over 40 individual stable releases (for the desktop-critical packages), where as GNOME and KDE maybe had 10 full-stable releases. Both models work fine, but the latter requires a lot more effort (which Xfce doesn't have).

http://www.xfce.org/about/releasemodel