Thread: CodeWeavers Is Working On A New Web Browser

Hybrid View

Default CodeWeavers Is Working On A New Web Browser

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Is Working On A New Web Browser

CodeWeavers, the company behind the popular Wine-based CrossOver software for running Windows-based games and office software on Linux and Mac OS X, is preparing to release some sort of new web browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5NDY

ActiveX is evil ... let it die.

cb88 is a crackpot ... let it die.

Can someone explain better? I do have at work some intranet "websites" that only work with Internet Explorer 6 (yes, you read that). Does this mean Crossover will release some sort of Chromium (a native linux client) that will have "embedded" IE6+7 support?

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Can someone explain better? I do have at work some intranet "websites" that only work with Internet Explorer 6 (yes, you read that). Does this mean Crossover will release some sort of Chromium (a native linux client) that will have "embedded" IE6+7 support?
    The newsletter wasn't specific enough, but my guess is that it won't be a native Linux client. The entire solution will more than likely be based on wine, rather than having a native renderer with an ActiveX container running in an emulator.

Now that you mention it, though, that doesn't sound like an extremely bad idea. Still, I'm betting it'll run on a wine emulation of the Microsoft Trident rendering engine. They might make the GUI trimmings in native somehow (like how Chrome separates out the trimmings and the content pane) but I would be surprised if the rendering engine isn't Microsoft Trident.

Would that be legal (running Trident outside of a legitimate Windows installation)?