Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
You really think, that mom'n'pop, 13 year old sara first laptop or .. well you catch my thrift, really know what they are buying and would switch too? Let's ignore all the big offices where the OS is forced uppon you by ICT/Management. Let's just talk home users. They buy a "computer" (not a pc/mac) something that they can get online with. "Oh this apple computer is much more expensive then this acer computer." And that's as far as their grasp of computing goes. They don't know browsers, let a lone operating systems. Also even if knew that most of their computing griefs was related to Windows, they wouldn't even know what to switch too. Something as Linux or Ubuntu, is completely unknown to them. Their routers work as magical wireless boxes etc. I think the fact that people DO know that there is apple, android and windows phone is one of the reasons windows phone only has 0.41% market share? Not because it's so new etc, but because people don't "want that same shit" on their phone? So yes, people have been driven mad by both PC manufactures, driver makers and Microsoft. But when their virus infested, dog slow machines are annoying them, they just buy a new one and the cycle repeats. True, there's some more witty peopel out there, but I only coverd 80% of the demographic there.

But people did drove off in bunches, because it was so bad. No they didn't go to Linux. Some went to macs, but most went to ... XP. Yes, a lot of PC manufactures pre-installed XP instead of vista, due to demand from users. Now Manufactures going against Microsofts wishes. Yes MS wants everybody to go to their latest offering as quickly as possible. So for HP, Dell etc to offer XP when MS wants to push vista is pretty big.

Ok now your digging yourself in quite deeply. First off, your talking about linux the kernel? Or linux as a platform, which usually totally gets raped by manufactures. Long story short (I could put a huge rant here, really) The kernel usually isn't the problem. Manufactures just slap something together, sometimes using binary blobs (more on that on your video bit) and when it works in their labs, they'll ship. Usually not taking into consideration the amount of ram needed for their setups, the amount of flash etc etc. They try to cut as much of the costs as possible, and like in this case with disastrous outcome. Most of the time, installing one of the best 'distro's for accesspoints out there, openwrt fixes nearly all problems. Mostly because they know better the limitations of the system based on the amount of ram or trying to replace binary blobs with proper opensource drivers. To summarize, linux isn't the problem here, but manufactures who don't really know what they are doing, but refuse to standarize on openwrt with their own webskin.

P.s. you do know it was running linux, not vmworkss

Chances are you where using a binary blob? Yeah, though this could happen on any os, but problem here is most if not all the time, the binary blob. They have funny ways of installing their drivers if not fully removed, can cause trouble no matter what you put in after that. Also, I don't find this a 'general consumer issue' at all. Probably not the 80% demographic, maybe 75% demographic. Users generally don't swap their video card. They buy laptops! or normal tower "computers".

You would think this be true, with more windows users then linux users, ignoring the cooperate and mom'n'pop/13 year olds etc. Thing is, it's simply not true. Most of the windows problems people also find them and often recommend you to try to reboot, try X, try Y and ... reinstall. Reinstalling btw is often the solution to many many windows problems (the 75% demographic btw, would just buy a new one. "Oh it no longer works right, time to buy a new one, it was "old" anyway".).

May be, may be not. Either-way, the 80% demographic (overuse, I know) will probably whine and complain how annoying their new computer is and HP/Dell will offer 7 as an option to new models.

Someone after you said this wasn't true or he could fix up any 'crufted old setup'. But everybody really knows, that windows gets 'slow' after a year or two and reinstall is required.

He has a point, clearing out the startup/run sections, uninstalling crapware helps a lot. But there always creeps in some bloat that won't get uninstalled. One of the worst offenders is office. Notice how a freshly installed PC starts in a certain amount of time. After installing office, the PC would take longer to start and things where slightly slower. Yet startup, run etc everything remained the same. DLL's bloating the memory/preload? Who knows. But it's a fact. most people btw, don't reinstall, after 1-2 years, they just buy a new one.[/QUOTE]

Worse than any Mac fanboi. Horrible.

The point was made in the article or maybe in these comments that Windows 8 was going to destroy Microsoft and drive people to alternatives. My point was that Microsoft already had one "failure" and Linux failed to benefit. The reasons why are irrelevant. It simply means that this time around it's unlikely to be much different.

As it happens you have completely misunderstood what I was talking about with the router. The router was running Linux but that wasn't what crashed it. It was something to do with IPv6 being enabled at kernel level, which meant I couldn't turn it off. Don't talk about digging myself deeper when the point goes over your head.

Maybe the binary blob was a problem, I can't remember if I installed the binary or not, but still, Windows has NEVER given me that problem. Changing a graphics card will not usually give a BSOD, since it has a fallback standard VGA driver. For whatever reason, Linux didn't have the same behaviour and the repair tools offered didn't do the job.

I have "fixed" Windows machines that were over 6 or 7 years old simply with msconfig. Most users will not know about the smaller antivirus packages either. A defrag and a run of ccleaner works wonders too. Linux machines don't have the same mess of crapware to deal with, nor the same number of idiot users to do things the way they weren't supposed to. Linux hasn't really faced the same pounding on the desktop that Windows has, I wouldn't be too smug over Windows "slowing down". In fact I have done upgrades in Linux that forced a reinstall because they messed up so badly. Granted that's maybe just Ubuntu's fault, but Ubuntu is meant to be the "easy" Linux.

Just because I came and posted criticisms of Linux you seem to be treating me as some sort of Windows lover. I have been trying Linux since before Ubuntu finally made one LiveCD to makes things simpler, and I've always been waiting for the day I could just install it for my friends and leave them to it. That day just hasn't come.