Thread: Ubuntu Friendly Wasn't So Friendly After All

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Friendly Wasn't So Friendly After All

Phoronix: Ubuntu Friendly Wasn't So Friendly After All

Ubuntu Friendly -- the Canonical-spawned initiative for the community to try to provide information on computer hardware that's "friendly" to run Ubuntu Linux -- is not being actively maintained...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5OTI

I submitted about 25 different and brand new laptops, but there is no way of knowing if the submit was successful or how fare it has gone in the process. After weeks of waiting and multiple correspondences with the maintainers still none of the laptops had ended up on Ubuntu friendly and i just gave up on the whole thing.

Yeah right, phoronix' openbenchmarking.org such a great sucess. Thanks for remembering me all the time...
    Last edited by Linuxhippy; 05-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Yeah right, phoronix' openbenchmarking.org such a great sucess. Thanks for remembering me all the time...
    He didn't say openbenchmarking.org is a great success. He said the Ubuntu Census software has so limited user reports that even openbenchmarking.org is way more visited. Learn how to read.

Default Michael

Maybe you could use OpenBenchmark to list most popular brands, most popular models, etc.
    Which models that perform best, use least power, and works good.

Mark Shuttleworth uses a Dell.
    Linus Torvalds uses a MacBook Air.
    Richard Stallman uses a Lemote (Chinese, MIPS-based)
    I wonder what other developers use.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Maybe you could use OpenBenchmark to list most popular brands, most popular models, etc.
    It already does that.... Click on any category to see popular brands, popular motherboards, etc - e.g. http://openbenchmarking.org/s/GPU

And it provides a composite index based upon massive amounts of data - http://openbenchmarking.org/index though no index based on power use since there's many factors and not enough power usage tests done by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

Mark Shuttleworth uses a Dell.
    Linus Torvalds uses a MacBook Air.
    Richard Stallman uses a Lemote (Chinese, MIPS-based)
    I wonder what other developers use.
    A lot of people at Red Hat use Thinkpads, because that's what you get as a corporate laptop by default. And they're pretty nice systems. There are exceptions, though. Jesse Keating uses a Mac. I run a Vaio Z. I know that back in 2009, Jim Whitehurst had an Acer Aspire One (in addition to a few other boxes, obviously), but I've no idea what he's got now. =)