Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: NVIDIA Announces Open-Source CUDA Compiler

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,138

    Default NVIDIA Announces Open-Source CUDA Compiler

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Announces Open-Source CUDA Compiler

    NVIDIA CUDA developer relations just fired off an email entitled NVIDIA Contributes CUDA Compiler to Open Source Community...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5OTU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    WARNING: THIS IS A CHEAP TRICK!!!!
    Nvidia is trying to exclude their competitors by introducing their own "standards". They must not be allowed to do this. The only way it can be prevented is by NOT ACCEPTING.

    Anticipate it to be about as open as "VDPAU", which is an abomination, only useful with nvidia hardware.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Indeed.

    What's the point of an open source compiler when the resulting code can only be run reasonably on a closed driver?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    WARNING: THIS IS A CHEAP TRICK!!!!
    Nvidia is trying to exclude their competitors by introducing their own "standards". They must not be allowed to do this. The only way it can be prevented is by NOT ACCEPTING.

    Anticipate it to be about as open as "VDPAU", which is an abomination, only useful with nvidia hardware.
    Without trying to fire another conspiracy theory, this is obviously a strong strategic decision.
    We all know how open-source friendly NVidia usually is.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Anticipate it to be about as open as "VDPAU", which is an abomination, only useful with nvidia hardware.
    It's only useful with nvidia hardware, because only they have a full implementation. VDPAU itself is fully open, there's a state tracker using it, for example. Though for now it only decodes mpeg2. But it's there.
    Intel could provide hardware decoding via VDPAU, there's nothing technical preventing them from doing it, it's just that they're already using VAAPI.

    Saying VDPAU is not open, just because one implementation is closed, is silly. That would mean xvmc is not open either, seeing as how nvidia has a closed implementation in their driver. Which is, of course, equally silly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,108

    Default I want KMS

    That's all good and stuff, but not important to me.
    I want KMS (kernel mode setting) and open source device driver.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    No, thanks. I prefer an open standard that runs across devices and vendors: OpenCL. Period.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Nouveau. There.

    I don't mind being less closed source. It's LLVM, not GCC, where this doesn't affect the rest of the compiler if it's implemented.

    Also people can start using it, but OpenCL is more like it.

    Sound a bit like 3Dfx to me; open sourcing a GPU lib in the light of a more general open source one.

    But OpenCL isn't the end-to-end-all either, since the code is still pretty much hardware bound. For example if you want to squeeze parallel performance, you have to implement a very GPU architecture specific dataset. So OpenCL isn't as generic as OpenGL (yet).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d.a.a. View Post
    No, thanks. I prefer an open standard that runs across devices and vendors: OpenCL. Period.
    OpenCL sucks compared to CUDA. I'd much much rather have an Open Source CUDA that put up with the shit Khronos peddles.

    Unfortunately, this isn't an actual open source compiler, since the backend only outputs PTX, which requires a proprietary library to consume and compile to native code.

    It's a frontend, which is useful, but not an actual Open GPU solution.

    AMD, on the other hand, has actually released direct-to-hardware LLVM code for compiling against GPU programs on their actually Open hardware.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    It's only useful with nvidia hardware, because only they have a full implementation. VDPAU itself is fully open, there's a state tracker using it, for example. Though for now it only decodes mpeg2. But it's there.
    Intel could provide hardware decoding via VDPAU, there's nothing technical preventing them from doing it, it's just that they're already using VAAPI.

    Saying VDPAU is not open, just because one implementation is closed, is silly. That would mean xvmc is not open either, seeing as how nvidia has a closed implementation in their driver. Which is, of course, equally silly.
    There were fully open options before nvidia threw in their nonsense. Their objective is to splinter development and push their proprietary solutions. That is all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •