Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa

Default OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa

Phoronix: OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa

While the OpenCL enablement process for the open-source GPU drivers isn't over yet, there's a big accomplishment today: the "Clover" OpenCL state tracker for Gallium3D has finally been merged to Mesa Git master...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwMTE

I wonder which graphics cards will benefit from that. For instance, will the Radeon HD 3xxx be supported? I think it uses the R600g driver but I seem to recall that it's not usable for GPGPU stuff. Any reliable info on that?

OpenCL is finally coming together for the Gallium3D drivers -- almost four years after the OpenCL 1.0 specification was ratified.
    It's the FIRST Free and Open Source implementation of a GPGPU infrastructure capable of running on real GPU hardware.

It's also the first time a Free operating system has been able to do GPU computation.

That's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by kobblestown View Post
    I wonder which graphics cards will benefit from that. For instance, will the Radeon HD 3xxx be supported? I think it uses the R600g driver but I seem to recall that it's not usable for GPGPU stuff. Any reliable info on that?
    The HD3000 cards doesn't support all features. HD4000 maybe.

Q has been repeating that HD4k and earlier don't support OpenCL fully, and he's right I'm afraid. Expect no OpenCL support unless you have hd5k or greater (or was it 6k? Q?).

On other platforms hd4k supports CL via emulation, and I don't think enough devs are interested in making that work when compliant hardware is available too.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Q has been repeating that HD4k and earlier don't support OpenCL fully, and he's right I'm afraid. Expect no OpenCL support unless you have hd5k or greater (or was it 6k? Q?).

On other platforms hd4k supports CL via emulation, and I don't think enough devs are interested in making that work when compliant hardware is available too.
    Alex in early March:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...664#post252664
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...675#post252675

R6xx cards don't have the necessary hw to fully support the entire OpenCL API; it would be limited to a certain subset.
    R7xx can support OpenCL over the gfx pipeline. Evergreen is the first generation of hardware with a native compute pipeline.
    and

Your best bet for OpenCL support is evergreen or newer.

What about Intel? Are they going to implement their own OpenCL stack as they seem to not be interested in Gallium3D?
    Last edited by log0; 05-11-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by kobblestown View Post
    hd2000 and hd3000 will be never supported because of incompatible hardware.
    right now its hd5000+ stuff.
    maybe the hd4000 gets a emulation)hack( in the future to support the openCL level like hd5000

you need to buy a new card if you need to tun openCL on the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post

other platforms? you can use openCL on a hd4000 card with the catalyst driver in linux.
    yes anything greater than hd5000 do have all hardware specific caches to support openCL.

"and I don't think enough devs are interested in making that work when compliant hardware is available too."

this is not for sure, linux is the land of the "hackers" maybe some heros write a hack to support openCL for hd4000.

i already asked Marek but he is busy with openGL stuff.

Just a question.

Is there still fragmentation in the state trackers. I mean do we still need differenst state trackers for nouveau and different for radeon???